Debug and %APPDATA%

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Elbart

Debug and %APPDATA%

Post by Elbart »

With every version newer than 649b, I cannot open the debug-window at all. Neither -console nor the hotkey within Everything are working.
Is this a bug which only happens when using %APPDATA% has been deselected during installation? I'm using Vista.
I'd like to keep the program, config and database in the same place.
therube

Re: Debug and %APPDATA%

Post by therube »

Perhaps you're running into a situation similar to mentioned here, Digital Volcano: What is keeping me from paying?

So try installing into a directory outside of a Windows special folder location.
therube

Post by therube »

Hmm...

Ctrl+` is not working for me?

XP, running the service, portable, 658b.
(I install, rarely, & virtually nothing into any "special folder".)

everything.exe -debug does open the console as expected.
But I cannot close it via shortcut, nor can I open it via shortcut?

The last time I looked, which may have been a bit ago, on my Win7 system, I had no problem with the shortcut key?
(Is the shortcut key defined in Keyboard?)
Yes, Tools | Console. And defined as Ctrl+`.

657b looks to be working as expected.

Debugging Help says the shortcut is Ctrl+~, but actually its defined as Ctrl+`. Same key, just one is shifted & one is not.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

therube wrote:So try installing into a directory outside of a Windows special folder location.
Installing to a folder outside of C:\Users\Username\* isn't helping. For example I've put it in C:\ with writing-rights.
therube wrote:Debugging Help says the shortcut is Ctrl+~, but actually its defined as Ctrl+`. Same key, just one is shifted & one is not.
I've changed the shortcut to less ambiguous ones, like Ctrl+Alt+L, to no avail.

Installing 653b and newer without %APPDATA% apparently also breaks the disk-scanning, as searching isn't working either.

I'm running Everything as service, if that's important.
therube

Post by therube »

> I've put it in C:\

C:\> is also not a good location.
You cannot, normally, do something as mundane as C:\> DIR > ABC (on Vista & up).

Create a subdirectory to C: (which you can do) & install to there.

Ctrl+` is working as expected for me in Win7.

I will note that the Everything window, rather then the Console window, needs to have the focus in order for Ctrl+` to close Console.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

therube wrote:Create a subdirectory to C: (which you can do) & install to there.
Yeah, that's what I did, C:\Everything\*.
therube wrote: Ctrl+` is working as expected for me in Win7.
The console-hotkey is working for me fine, too. But only in 649b and earlier.

As a test, after installing 658b with %APPDATA% checked during installing, I have to report that even with that setting, the console isn't showing up by -console or hotkey.

The console is working fine after installing 649b with %APPDATA% checked during setup.

Even after removing all installations of Everything and reinstalling it into "Program files" with all default options unchanged, the console isn't working.
Is there any option to force Everything to write a log upon startup, so I can further diagnose the problem?
nagan

Post by nagan »

Not too sure about the cause , but trying to exclude Everything from/in Antivirus or HIPS software can be a valid exercise to see any difference.I had an issue though not similar which was caused by the HIPS/Firewall app I have and solved after I excluded ET in it .
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

I'm not using that kind of software.