"Cancel query?"

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
galneon

"Cancel query?"

Post by galneon »

This has so far only happened with the latest x64 beta from June 25. I keep Everything running at all times in the tray. I've had two episodes where whenever I bring up the window with either my global hotkey or by clicking the tray icon, I'm immediately met with a popup that says "Cancel current query?" I hit "OK" and Everything freezes for a few seconds, the window seems to close and a new one instantly replaces it that shows no such weirdness and I can go about my search as normal without delay. If I close that window and then bring Everything back up from the tray, the same thing happens as before with the cancel query window. Killing Everything at the tray so it isn't running at all and then loading a new instance of it resolves the problem. My settings are the same as recent betas so I'm not sure what has changed. I'm not running Everything as a service.

I'll try to get more precise details if it happens again unless this is a known issue you're already aware of.
void
Developer

Re: "Cancel query?"

Post by void »

What values are set in Tools -> Options -> Home for Sort and Filter?
galneon

Post by galneon »

Both are set to "use last value".
shmidman

Post by shmidman »

I also have this problem; whenever I enter a new search term into Everything, it displays a "Cancel current query?" dialog while it searches. I cannot figure out what is triggering this popup.

Overall it is harmless; once the search is completed, the dialog disappears. But it is disturbing nonetheless. Is there any way to avoid this?
galneon

Post by galneon »

For what it's worth, I haven't encountered the dialog again since posting this thread (still on the same version). I was able to get rid of it the first two times by completely exiting Everything.
nagan

Post by nagan »

For whatever it is worth , it is better to have the Tools>Options>General>Home --Sort to "Name Ascending" as it usually was before this feature was introduced. In case you had made a sort earlier (for example Date created / modified or Size) , and then closed Everything ---if you open Everything afresh , it will indulge in Sorting which is a very time consuming process. Sorting by Name is the Everything Default...
galneon

Post by galneon »

Good tip. Thanks!