USB HDD connected start scan all drives?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
nice_guy

USB HDD connected start scan all drives?

Post by nice_guy »

I have six external USB HDDs connected. Everything has scanned them all.
A little bit later I connect another USB HDD.

I wish: Everything Search Engine should scan only this new connected USB HDD, not all the others! But it starts to scan all drives.

Is it a bug or do I have wrong options enabled?
Thank you
void
Developer

Re: USB HDD connected start scan all drives?

Post by void »

Indexing only the new volume is on my "things to do" list.
nice_guy

Post by nice_guy »

Thank you!
nice_guy

Post by nice_guy »

version 656b:
Still scanning all drives, wright?
Or have I missed the change?

Thanks
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything will still re-scan all your drives when you connect a USB HDD.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Hi,
First I want to express my happiness and gratitude that after the long absence, development on this indispensable utility has resumed!

On this matter of avoiding total rescans when additional drives are attached -- this is very important to me as well and I look forward to David implementing a remedy. I work with 20 or more USB drives at a time, attached by 4 hubs, totalling 30 TB. I don't always have all these drives attached at the same and so I am frequently running into these full re-scan delays when I attach just 1 additional drive. I hope this fix is a priority for David.

Jerry
nagan

Post by nagan »

@ Jerry
Just a technical curiosity.. You sure would be using an OS Win 7 x 64 and above. In case all the USB drives totalling to 30TB as you mentioned is connected , what is the RAM consumption of Everything (say in the Task Manager or Process Explorer) against the total number of files (the number listed in the status bar of Everything)..? What is the total RAM you have installed?
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

nagan wrote:@ Jerry
Just a technical curiosity.. You sure would be using an OS Win 7 x 64 and above. In case all the USB drives totalling to 30TB as you mentioned is connected , what is the RAM consumption of Everything (say in the Task Manager or Process Explorer) against the total number of files (the number listed in the status bar of Everything)..? What is the total RAM you have installed?
Yes I'm running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, quad-core HP Pavilion notebook with 8 GB RAM.
Memory consumption by both Everything processes is negligible. Here are the private bytes total from Process Explorer with peak values in parentheses:

Everything (gui) - 57M (115M)
Everything (service) - 1.6M (1.6M)
Total object count for "*" search: 1.27 million
Last edited by Jerry on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Thanks for the reply! I think the peak @ 115000 k or 115mb is peanuts compared to the lightning speed at which it would deliver the results for 1.27million files.Say an average of 11000+ files / mb. On an average the peak private byte 115mb is lesser than my Firefox peak. :lol:
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

nagan wrote:Thanks for the reply! I think the peak @ 115000 k or 115mb is peanuts compared to the lightning speed at which it would deliver the results for 1.27million files.Say an average of 11000+ files / mb. On an average the peak private byte 115mb is lesser than my Firefox peak. :lol:

I corrected my typo in the original post and replaced K with M for mb. And that 1.27 million is actually about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total number of files, if I had all backup drives attached, used NTFS mount points after the letters ran out, etc. but I have never needed or wanted to do that. Hence, the desire to have quick incremental scan in Everything when new drives are attached.

Yes, the near instantaneous speed of this software, when actually doing a basic search, is nothing short of amazing. The power at one's fingertips to instantly navigate over such a huge expanse of files is like magic. Of course, there's another key component to this power which depends on the data (and possibly the user): in this case, the full path names of files and folders. Specifically, how much useful information (for searches) can or should be in the full path name itself? And can one be disciplined enough to follow a basic naming protocol, or scheme over a long time? I have always been mostly consistent and systematic in my file and folder naming, and generously included relevant info where possible (to fit within 255 chars). And the result is, as I said, magic. But everybody here already knows that! :D
myNameIsJonny!

Post by myNameIsJonny! »

any updates or workarounds for this?

say, for example, DB1 has all externals connected, meaningful & unique drive letters assigned. Backup the DB and maybe configure everything so, even if you make the mistake of connecting a new HD while everything is running, it'll be ignored (pretty sure this at least is possible, not certain how, yet :)

If Everything is started, and keep_missing_indexes=1, will Everything always rescan any connected drives?

If it's a yes, there's not much pointing continuing with the hypothesis!

Hoping something can be done to resolve this perceptibly tiny mis-behaviour, to make an otherwise awesome app... practically perfect.

gushing thanks
FrozenGamer

Post by FrozenGamer »

This is the problem i have as well, in especially that it rescans all of my network mapped drives on an 80 tb server. This takes a long time (an hour or more)...

here is the post i put in another thread today - i am going to cancel it and assume that the problem is just the same as yours.. I don't believe that keep missing indexes is the fix based on my experience trying it.

I enabled keep_missing_indexes=1 in my ini file. I have 5 network share mapped drives from a large unraid server added as folders. The normal problem is that whenever i plug in a USB drive it re indexes the entire set of drives including the 1 hour or more scan of mapped drives.
I am using Beta x64 as of Feb 2016 on a windows 7 machine.

The end result i would like is being able to search my drives including mapped drives when i start up search everything (without huge delays when i plug in an external drive). I understand that i will have to wait until the scheduled 3 am update of folders happens to get up to date searches on networked drives.

Will this work or am i misunderstanding?

PS. Love and use the program all the time, donated $20.00 a while back. Thanks!