everything not reading anything from decrypted volume

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
angrysquirrel

everything not reading anything from decrypted volume

Post by angrysquirrel »

Hello folks,

everything is not doing any searches on a decrypted truecrypt volume. Worked flawlessly on windows xp w/ sp 3. Will not work properly on window 7 64 bit. If I do the same search in the search window of "my computer" (you know that box in upper right corner of screen (search results / computer) it works. With everything it doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

one other thing. If i uninstall and reinstall everything it works again. Just after I reboot it' stops working.
daspud

Re: everything not reading anything from decrypted volume

Post by daspud »

Was your truecrypt volume formated NTFS or FAT? The default is FAT and that is not compatible with Search Everything. Check out the type. You can see that by right clicking on the mounted drive letter and select properties.
Sepehr

Post by Sepehr »

daspud wrote:Was your truecrypt volume formated NTFS or FAT? The default is FAT and that is not compatible with Search Everything. Check out the type. You can see that by right clicking on the mounted drive letter and select properties.
I have the same problem and I checked that the drive is NTFS, not FAT but still Everything can't find anything from it.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Sepehr wrote: I have the same problem and I checked that the drive is NTFS, not FAT but still Everything can't find anything from it.
I don't know anything about TrueCrypt, but my guess is that Everything is started *before* the drive is decrypted. And therefore "misses" this volume.

You could test this by stopping the Everything service and start it again after the volume has been decrypted.
Also exit Everything (check if process still running) and start it again.

If that makes the drive accessible to Everything, there are a couple of ways for a permanent solution, but let's take this step by step ...
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

BTW: this is what the TrueCrypt homepage (http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/) has to say:
WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

This page exists only to help migrate existing data encrypted by TrueCrypt.

The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014 after Microsoft terminated support of Windows XP. Windows 8/7/Vista and later offer integrated support for encrypted disks and virtual disk images. Such integrated support is also available on other platforms (click here for more information). You should migrate any data encrypted by TrueCrypt to encrypted disks or virtual disk images supported on your platform.

The page includes migration strategies to other encryption software
Sepehr

Post by Sepehr »

Thank you. It started to detect the files in that volume after a while, I don't know why it didn't at first.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Sepehr wrote:Thank you. It started to detect the files in that volume after a while, I don't know why it didn't at first.
My assumption was a timing issue (see above).

But you're not done yet ...
After a reboot you are back to zero: Everything will not detect any changes on your TrueCrypt volume (new, changed or deleted files will not be detected). If that's notr a problem, you are done.
If you want Everything to detect changes to this volume, you have to start Everything *after* TrueCrypt.
(if it is indeed a timing issue)

How is Is TrueCrypt started (i.e the how and when is the drive decrypted)? Is it run as a service? Do you manually decrypt this volume?
Sepehr

Post by Sepehr »

NotNull wrote: How is Is TrueCrypt started (i.e the how and when is the drive decrypted)? Is it run as a service? Do you manually decrypt this volume?
Yes, I manually decrypt it.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

There is a little information to go on, but I will try ...

Assumptions
- Without quitting and restarting Everything changes in the decrypted filesystem ar not indexed
- You are an administrator on your machine
- You start decrypting the drive with a command / shortcut.

In that case:
create a batchfile with the following commands:

Code: Select all

c:\path\to\everything.exe -quit            (to stop the GUI)
sc stop Everything                         (to stop the Everything service)
truecrypt.exe <parameters>                 (the command to decrypt your drive)
sc start Everything                        (to start the Everything service)
c:\path\to\everything.exe -startup         (start the GUI; icon in notification area)
Start this batchfile to decrypt the drive (and restart Everything).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Any news on this?
jtab

Post by jtab »

NotNull wrote:Any news on this?
Hi,

I have the same problem, and here's what I do.

After I open a drive in Truecyrpt (or Veracrypt), in Everything go into "Options" ->"Indexes" and click "Force Rebuild." It will rescan and include the decrypted drive in the results.

It seems there should be a setting that makes it do this automatically, but I can't figure out what it is. I have all the "Automatically include..." options checked in the NTFS settings, but no luck.