A slightly different Search Mode - to keep paths short

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
BrettUSA269

A slightly different Search Mode - to keep paths short

Post by BrettUSA269 »

First Find your product amazing and great productive app.

Windows 10 has a limit on path size so I find I want to shrink paths and file sizes so I don't have an issue. I store most of my data on a NAS drive and find it I hit that limit, it's almost impossible to get the data. I have to move the folder to like the root directory and shorten parts of path/file name/both.

format example C:\Entity\Bank\account #\2021
sample example C:\Bob's Business\East West\4546\2021\July Statement

Say I type "Bob 2021" in search everywhere
I would like to see this directory pop up and maybe with a different color vs your normal search - knowing it's a directory search result. This will allow me to keep my directories a little shorter vs putting duplicate key words on the sub directories or file names which can defeat the purpose of shorter paths.

If you have this or it's a feature I can turn on, that would be great. Let me know how to do it?

Thanks
BB
void
Developer

Re: A slightly different Search Mode - to keep paths short

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback BrettUSA269,

To find paths that are too long for the Windows shell, search for the following in Everything:

path:len:>259

You can rename these really long files directly in Everything.

I will consider a color filter for the above search to help distinguish really long paths from others.

Thank you for your suggestion.
BrettUSA269

Post by BrettUSA269 »

Thanks for the tip - that's Great But

I'm thinking you may have missed what I was referring to on the Search Suggestion

sample example C:\Bob's Business\East West\4546\2021\July Statement

Say I type "Bob 2021" in search everywhere I would not get the results on the directory. Yes If I typed just Bob or 2021 it would but not both (which is what I'm after and very beneficial). I might in my example have a 1000 companies and maybe a 1000 sub directories of 2021. So If I type the search in my example I can get to the directory quickly.

This search is a similar search like you have for file names (and directories) but instead searches in keywords in a FILE PATH.

I would call this a PATH SEARCH. The results as I said would be a different color and maybe at the end off your results list (after the list of directories in your list)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Default, Everything will try to look for Bob and 2021 in the filename (without path)

If you want to search for bob and 2021 in the filepaths too, you can enable Match Path (in the menu, under Search)
BrettUSA269

Post by BrettUSA269 »

Perfect!!!