Poll: What are your favorite features for the next version of Everything?

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
NotNull

Poll: What are your favorite features for the next version of Everything?

Post by NotNull »

As you are probably aware, @void is working very hard on the new major version of Everything.

There are *a lot* of things on the ToDo-list and it's not very likely that all of them will be part of the next version.

So, what are the 5 things that YOU would like to see most in the next major version?

To give you some inspiration: Tagging files has been asked a couple of times, just like a dark mode and indexing file content.

Sidenote:
Have you ever realized that if I would have asked you for a list of "5 things to fix first", you probably can't come up with such a list.
That is quite extraordinary! Especially for such a complex application.
therube

Re: Poll: What are your favorite features for the next version of Everything?

Post by therube »

(temporary) smart automatic/manual column width resizing
(Vim-like) position marking in results window
|--- (Vim-like) [including] regex: searching within results window
even better LNF support (in the works)
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I can't think of 5 things either. But the most usefully pressing thing would be a way to add my own arbitrary data columns based on my own supplemental data files in CSV format. Whether it all has to be compiled into one file, or gathered from multiple CSV file sources throughout my drives and directory trees. Similarly, support for .sfv .md5 .sha1 .sha256 .sha512 to display those checksum values into their own columns.

I suppose this falls under the general idea of "tagging."
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

My favorite is indexing file content but not as Everything index.
I know its possible to query Windows index content from xplorer² (Desktop index in Ultimate version).
So Everything should do it this way.
vsub

Post by vsub »

I don't have top 5,just one
Show images\videos thumbnails while viewing file lists

And not really related to Everything but his other program "ImageViewer"...support to open file lists(right now I have to open the file list in Everything and drag-drop the files into the viewer)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I thought this would be easy to answer, but apparently I'm pretty happy with how things are right now :)

Nevertheless, I found a couple:

- Updating the database in the background.
I don't have Everything running all the time and start it when needed. And that means waiting for processing the updates to finish.

- Preview plain-text files in "dark mode"
Dark mode is on the todo-list, but previewing files is "outsourced" to Windows (except for most images; those are handled by Everything internally).
I would like to be able to view plain text files - those I do preview the most and I don't think Everything should write pdf, docx etc preview handlers - in some sort of dark mode too.
This should have been implemented by Microsoft a long time ago, but they didn't.

- Nested searches
More complex searches often require searching for something, exporting the results to an EFU file list and open that file list for the next search.
I would love to be able to do someting like this: <<c:\folder1 | c:\folder2 >> dupe:
That would search for all files in folder1 and 2 and search for duplicates in the resulting files of that <<>> query ( << >> is my example syntax as an indicator to use the results of that query )
But this will likely cause more trouble than it will solve, so maybe better not implement this ...

- Search query completion
So that when I type "c:\pro", it will suggest "c:\program files\" and "c:\program files (x86)\"
Same for %A ==> %APPDATA% and shell:de ==> shell:desktop
In an ideal world it would also understand "!c:\pr" (! = NOT)

And for forum support:

- One single place where you can see where ini, database, etc are located and other important settings like running as admin, etc

- remove the default shortcut keys for Match Path/diacritics/.. and always on Top

(both are already on the todo-list, btw)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

vsub wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:02 pm I don't have top 5,just one

And not really related to Everything but his other program "ImageViewer"...support to open file lists(right now I have to open the file list in Everything and drag-drop the files into the viewer)
You can already enable Thumbnails under the View menu.
Also you can already enable Preview.
So whats your request not yet possible ?
vsub

Post by vsub »

horst.epp wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:49 pm You can already enable Thumbnails under the View menu.
Also you can already enable Preview.
So whats your request not yet possible ?
It is not possible to view the thumbnails while viewing filelists(efu files)

Clicking on every single files just to see if that is the image you want while looking the the preview panel don't help much
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

The most useful features for me I think are:

1. Sorting all files/folders separately so you can search accurately by date created, date modified, date accessed, size, or other windows attribute.
2. Indexing android microsd cards, indexing internal phone storage
3. searching files/folders within google drive, google photos, microsoft onedrive
4. adding additional columns just like what windows explorer has
LeoLUG

Post by LeoLUG »

Thanks for asking !

1. content indexing (with option to reindexing by users request and not indexing all the time)
2. more option wit Dupe (without need to export to EFU)
3. highlight results in RTL
4. Dark mode
5. tree view

Post by 775405984 »

Just one:
Dark mode

Post by 775405984 »

also fix rename collision error
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7728
EricB

Post by EricB »

The few things that I can come up with:

- Dark mode
- Updated Everything SDK that supports named instances
- Indexing of some extra file properties, like bitrate, exif (has been mentioned before as tagging)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

For the dark mode 'voters' : workaround for the current version of Everything.
(in case you missed it)
dglp

Post by dglp »

Ooh, interesting question, and I just happen to have two items on my wishlist!

1. A file list of folders or files to search for specific text.
Until recently, I thought there was such an option, but never went looking for it, until I needed to compare several lists of email addresses from several years of contact exports. I would have been great to point to a batch of of the exported lists and ask ESE to search for particular addresses in each. I still haven't got my mind round what the actual file list option does, but it isn't about lists of files to search.

2. EXIF data, and more specifically, GPS coordinates. There are several good EXIF search tools (e.g. EXIFTool), but I know of only one that retrieves Lat/Lon/elev data as a list, but then only in dd° mm' ss" format. (That would be zabkat.com's deskrule.) So a method for extracting GPS coordinates in batch mode would be very helpful when I need to search for all the photos from a given location.

All I want for Christmas is my two front end search tools! :D
EricB

Post by EricB »

NotNull wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:38 pm For the dark mode 'voters' : workaround for the current version of Everything.
(in case you missed it)
I have this installed already for quite some time, much appreciated! However, 'native' dark theme which also takes menu bars, dialogs etc into account is preferred (like with TC 9.51, you know what I'm talking about).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

EricB wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:34 pm
NotNull wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:38 pm For the dark mode 'voters' : workaround for the current version of Everything.
(in case you missed it)
However, 'native' dark theme which also takes menu bars, dialogs etc into account is preferred (like with TC 9.51, you know what I'm talking about).
Yes I do :) and I agree: Real dark mode is preferred. I would like to see that too.
But as this is *a lot* of work (even according to the developer of said TC), we have to stick to workarounds for now.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I would answer this question if void will say he needs help with this.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

What I don't understand, is why Microsoft doesn't release a (n updated) set of API's to create dark mode programs.
Or just add an option 'use system setting' for theme-ing to those API's.
Now millions of developers have a hard time creating a dark theme. That is a lot of wasted resources.

To make things worse: in older Windows versions (up to Win7 ) there was an interface to change the layout, making it "easy" to create a dark mode, among other things. But that mechanism was killed [1]. And nothing came in place of that.

End of rant .. :)

[1]Some parts are still there, like uxtheme.dll and with a lot of hacking/creativity one can still create themes using that. Sort of ..
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Oh yeah, and indexing of ADS (alternate data streams) as file objects.

Many/most programs can open alternate data streams, if the proper name is passed to the program.
jimspoon

Post by jimspoon »

Like Raccoon I would love to be able to add my own columns and fill them with my data in a spreadsheet fashion. This would do wonders for file management, and I can figure out why somebody hasn't done it yet.
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

I can't wait until merging of files/folders together (instead of listing directories seperately) and then sort by date created,date modified thats the only issue thats making me seek alternative solutions - like creating a excel vba macro to list files/folders...if the developer can fix this then I can finally have the perfect software for me to work on...I really NEED THIS..
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

anmac1789 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:07 pm I can't wait until merging of files/folders together (instead of listing directories seperately) and then sort by date created,date modified thats the only issue thats making me seek alternative solutions - like creating a excel vba macro to list files/folders...if the developer can fix this then I can finally have the perfect software for me to work on...I really NEED THIS..
Date created, Date modified can already be shown and sorted in the current version.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

anmac1789 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:07 pm I really NEED THIS..
Just curious: what makes sorting files and folders together so useful to you?
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

because i have many files and folders scatted around during college and my laptop broke and acronis backups messed up several times so there are more backups and we have backups of multiple computers in 10 hard drives snd those hard drive baclups have multiple other backups (due to my brothers ignorance). Im sorting tjrough everythijg by date and or by size so i know which backup is legit and which backup failed midway..
4c3T

Post by 4c3T »

Three things comes to mind:

Installer need to just upgrade, and if there's any new feature that needs settings, it should be displayed afterwards, not during installation.
It made some changes for me, and I don't like having to re-check everything and undo changes. This is annoying. It should just upgrade and leave the existing settings.

Second thing, faster, perhaps multi-threaded directory scans specifically targeted for network shares as they can be slow from time to time.
Particularly useful when dealing with multiple servers (Only have one atm, so I don't know if this actually already exists, to my pre-defense) I can imagine.

I'm using this on my work computer and accessing data on my server, and very often files are swapped out for replacements, and it's a bit tedious to wait 5 minutes (As per setting for each monitored directory).
As for the Rescan option, it should not be reset for each added directory. There should be an option for default for each share, and I'm thinking tri-state check boxes, off = default, grey = default, checked = custom, or something like that.
Sure, this is hopefully done just once, but if the list of directories contains many entries, it's easy to forget or miss one, and I've cursed over this a few times myself.

Thirdly, there'd be nice to see network drives listed as a separate option under Indexers in options, with the same options as NTFS, except for what doesn't apply like USN Journal and such. "Monitor changes" might be a difficult one, but I think that can probably be solved in some way perhaps?

Lastly, this is by far THE best searching program I've ever used. I use it daily, like all the time.
I can't believe that MS hasn't implemented something similar. Back in the day when XP was king of the mountain, that search function was good, but this tops that several times over.
They really screwed that up since then.

So, thank you for that!
monsto

Post by monsto »

I registered specifically to chime in here.

I searched the list, but saw nothing that matched these items, but here they are.
  • Full Row selection highlight.
    Frequently, I'm looking at the list for something other than name, and it's "hard" to not have he hilight bar go all the way across.
  • Inactivity based indexing/updating.
    Frequently, I'm just running along doing my thing, and suddenly I realize that performance has gone to the dogs. I give the Task Manager a "what the hell is going on" look only to find Everything running at 100% on both CPU and Disk. I understand that you want to keep it fresh, but me personally, I'd be ok if it only did it after X time of inactivity or when the screensaver came up. My main machine is on most of the time anyway, and given a checkbox for "Update only during inactivity" or even if the program just arbitrarily chose 5am 1x/day, it would be plenty accurate enough for my uses.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

monsto wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:49 pm Full Row selection highlight.
Check this :) :
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > UI
  • Check Full row select
What also might help:
Menu:Tools > Options > General : Alternate row color

monsto wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:49 pm Inactivity based indexing/updating.
That can be configured to "play nice", but before going into that, the "Everything running at 100% on both CPU and Disk." intrigued me. That is quite a-typical. Especially the "100% Disk". Everything doesn't do much on your disks. It reads it's update information from 1 specific file per drive/volume.
Or do you have local disks attached to your system that are not NTFS-formatted? (like FAT32, exFAT, etc)
You can check if there are any drives/folders configured under Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders
froggie

Post by froggie »

Full Row selection highlight.
Frequently, I'm looking at the list for something other than name, and it's "hard" to not have he hilight bar go all the way across.

Does Options=>General=>UI=>Full Row Select help or do you mean something else?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you everyone for all the feedback and suggestions.

I hope to have an alpha release soon.
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

will you be making a release soon where folders and files are mixed together when sorted by date and time ? because right now im working on that finction with excel vba macros and its a pain the behind !
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes, "indexing folders as files" is in development and should be included in Everything 1.5 alpha.
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

great ! i cant wait ! when is the timeline for this release ??
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

so i found one software that does list files/folder together and doesn't separate them but the GUI is a bit odd and does not have many options. The software is called ultrasearch (https://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch_free). Maybe you could take a look at this and see how the developer make this software. I still prefer everything even though its almost there to what ultrasearch does. I really hope everything v1.5 comes soon.
keystoneclimber

Post by keystoneclimber »

There is only one thing necessary... DARK MODE!!!
Janus

Post by Janus »

For me it would be workgroup search.

I have several computers on a network, mostly windows.
Each of those windows machines runs everything.

It would be very useful for members of the same workgroup, or lan, could pass on file queries about shares.
Network requests would be for shared files only, while local would be normal search.
Say I am on \\workgroup\me.
When I search "dummyfile txt"
Having everything ask the other \\workgroup\* systems for shared matches would save time and effort.
Then \\workgroup\fileserver & \\workgroup\storage & \\workgroup\whatever could list their respective matches that are shared.

As I understand it, IPC can be used across a lan, which would be an extension of what already happens.
Documentation indicates samba supports it as well, so perhaps NAS devices could have support added later as well.
Though I am not sure, I do as little network programming as I can.

I use IPC with my personal version of explorer++ that lists directory sizes via everything.

Janus.
FrankFrancisco

Post by FrankFrancisco »

For me, search into my Synology NAS from the internet, not only in LAN access. Android version would be a must also. And I would pay for it.

Kind regards,

Frank
zonetrooperex

Post by zonetrooperex »

• Dark Mode
  • Weighted and Reordered Searches (source)
  • Option for Auto-Sizing Columns to fit the width of results
  • Adding of a "Labels" column and the ability to label files (e.g. Green Tick icon, meaning "Completed" etc..)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

zonetrooperex wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:46 am
Different from right-clicking the header bar, for example the Name column, and choosing Size All Columns to Fit CTRL+NUM PLUS ?
zonetrooperex

Post by zonetrooperex »

NotNull wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:24 pm
zonetrooperex wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:46 am
Different from right-clicking the header bar, for example the Name column, and choosing Size All Columns to Fit CTRL+NUM PLUS ?
That seems non-persistent to me. An automatic (takes affect on each result refresh) would be more useful to me.
imolesi

Post by imolesi »

First of all thank you for you excellent work

I would really appreciate the ability to connect to multiple ETP servers indexes.

Consider a simple environment with four shared folders with different access level:

All people have access to SharedFolder1, some people can access only SharedFolder2, some other only SharedFolder3, and some other of "higher level" can access SharedFolder2 and SharedFolder3, some other can access all four folders:
The combinations are:
1+2
1+3
1+2+3
1+2+3+4

The problem is that at this time we have many instances of Everything each one to index a specific combination (so in the example SharedFolder1 is indexed four times and it takes time...), but it would be much better to let one instance index all folders with the same access level then each client connect to all the necessary servers.

ETPserver1 mantain the index for SharedFolder1
ETPserver2 mantain the index for SharedFolder2
ETPserver3 mantain the index for SharedFolder3
ETPserver4 mantain the index for SharedFolder4

Some people connect to index1 and index2
Some people connect to index1 and index3
Some people connect to index1 and index2 and index3
and so on...

Of course we can have a single ETP server to index all shared folders, but we don't want to show file/folder list to other users even if they cannot access them.
imolesi

Post by imolesi »

Seems like that Everything Server is going to be THE solution!
I cannot wait to try it!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I have good news for you: You don't have to wait!

It is part of the freshly released Everything 1.5 Alpha

:D

Post by 775405984 »

NotNull wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:31 pm I have good news for you: You don't have to wait!

It is part of the freshly released Everything 1.5 Alpha

:D
Will 15a fix this?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6830
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Happily a lot of my needs have been addressed with the 1.5 update.
Thanks kindly for listening to my previous request over the last few years :0)
I use Everything a lot on a daily basis, in fact after the operating system and the browser it's probably my most used software.

The top of my list would be the ability to select (highlight) entries the path column in the same way as the name column. This is for pasting files into multiple locations something of which I do an awful lot of.

Multiple temporary excludes and a way of enabling the exclude list and system files and folders from the menu without having to go into options each time.

A way to keep menu drop down boxes open.

A little GO button rather than pressing enter (I use my mouse a lot)

Not really important but a way to check for nightly updates via the menu.

No doubt more will spring to mind.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Almost forgot...

A way to preview alternate data streams.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

harryray2 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:07 pm Almost forgot...

A way to preview alternate data streams.
There is no common usage or format for the content of alternate daat streams.
What should a preview provide ?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the suggestions!

Everything 1.5 improves Unicode sorting.

Everything 1.5.0.1269a adds support for viewing alternate data stream data.