Add descriptions to files and folders.

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Nickon

Add descriptions to files and folders.

Post by Nickon »

Have a nice day, everyone.

I don't know if this is possible and if you find it necessary, it would be useful for me to make it possible to add Descriptions to files and folders. At least short in size, within 64 characters. And also, be able to search for files by these descriptions. I have a lot of files, the name of which cannot indicate their belonging to a particular field. I use them often and get confused. I would love to assign descriptions to them. But Windows, by itself, does not allow this. Thanks in advance.
NotNull

Re: Add descriptions to files and folders.

Post by NotNull »

'Tagging' files is on the to-do list for the next major version of Everything.

@void is currently working full-time on this Everything 1.5.
Things look promising, but there is still a lot of work to do. So a release date is unknown at this moment.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

If this is of any use, I've taken to tagging folder contents by creating zero-byte files (New > Text Document) and giving them names like
.tag Such and such information about the folder
.tag apples pears bananas grapes
This obviously adds entries to Everything that are easily searched for. And it's essentially the same method that Windows uses for storing metadata except that Windows uses hidden alt-stream files that are (currently) not searchable.

This method may be more tedious for multiple individual files within the same folder.
xuxinliang

Post by xuxinliang »

NotNull wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:10 pm 'Tagging' files is on the to-do list for the next major version of Everything.

@void is currently working full-time on this Everything 1.5.
Things look promising, but there is still a lot of work to do. So a release date is unknown at this moment.
Tag Files or Folders With Alternate Data Stream is compatible with NTFS.
Everything only supported NTFS, So did Stream.
Now Indexing the Stream need to be released