Folder index: options action for one time clearing index for a folder (without removing it)

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
regios

Folder index: options action for one time clearing index for a folder (without removing it)

Post by regios »

I index a folder on a backup drive that is at times connected to the PC but most of the time not connected. While connected I want the Folder index setting to rescan the folder for changes and update the index, which it does. When the drive is unplugged I sometimes want to keep the index for that folder intact until next time the drive is plugged in. However sometimes I do want to clear the index for that folder, for privacy reasons and to avoid results from it cluttering searches (I know I can use search syntax to filter out the folder, but I'd rather not). That's where I run into a problem.

The documentation page for Folder Index https://www.voidtools.com/support/every ... _indexing/ states
What happens if the indexed folder is offline or not available?
The folder index will remain unchanged.
However, forcing a index rebuild will show the folder as empty.
But in my experience the last part is not true. If the folder's drive is unplugged the folder index remain unchanged, even when I in settings select it and click "rescan now".

I request a right click menu action in the settings to clear the index for a folder.
void
Developer

Re: Folder index: options action for one time clearing index for a folder (without removing it)

Post by void »

However, forcing a index rebuild will show the folder as empty.
I've removed this line.
Forcing a rebuild will keep using the offline index.

Currently, you need to remove the folder from your index:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click Folders on the left.
  • Select your offline volume and click Remove.
  • Click OK.
Unfortunately, this removes the folder from the index and you will need to re-add it when you need it again..

I've added to my TODO list: add an option to clear an offline folder index.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Is the volume NTFS? If so, instead of using folder indexing, please try NTFS indexing:
  • Remove your folder index from Tools -> Options -> Folders.
  • Under Tools -> Options -> NTFS.
  • Check Automatically remove offline volumes.
  • Select your external drive and check Include in database.
  • Click OK.
regios

Re: Folder index: options action for one time clearing index for a folder (without removing it)

Post by regios »

void wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:12 am Unfortunately, this removes the folder from the index and you will need to re-add it when you need it again..
Yes. My workaround was instead to shutdown Everything, edit out that particular folder path in Everything.ini, restart and reindex, shutdown again, edit back in the path in Everything.in, restart Everything. That way the folder index is cleared for the time being but will be auto indexed again next time the drive is online. But I look forward to this:
void wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:12 am I've added to my TODO list: add an option to clear an offline folder index.
void wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:12 am Check Automatically remove offline volumes.
In this particular case I sometimes want to keep the index while the drive is offline but sometimes want to manually clear it.