Better Message for Bulk Rename Errors

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
MikeA01730

Better Message for Bulk Rename Errors

Post by MikeA01730 »

Hi,

When I do a bulk rename and one of the renames fails (e.g. I'm renaming to an existing name or the file is being viewed) the error message says that the rename failed but not why. It would be helpful if the error message indicated the problem as it does when renaming a single file.

Thanks,
Mike
NotNull

Re: Better Message for Bulk Rename Errors

Post by NotNull »

Could you describe what you were renaming and post a screenshot?

This is what I see when I rename streams64.exe to (the already existing) xstreams64.exe, even before the files are actually renamed:
(Or do you mean a message like: File already exists / illegal character in filename / ..)
2020-08-21 23_23_02-Window.png
2020-08-21 23_23_02-Window.png (35 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
MikeA01730

Post by MikeA01730 »

Hi,

On a different PC than I tested on before (desktop earlier, laptop now, both Win 10) I started with 3 files TT1.pdf, TT2.pdf, and TT3.pdf as shown in first image. I selected TT2.pdf, used F2 to rename it to TT1.pdf, and got the message shown in the second image.

This different than what I saw before on my desktop. Then when I tried to do this I got a helpful error message that said that a file with that name already exists. But when I bulk renamed 2 files where one of the renames would fail I got an error message (I think this one but I'm not 100% sure) that didn't identify the specific problem. Every time I tried a single rename I got a helpful error message (either file with that name already exists or file is open) and with bulk rename I got something that didn't describe the specific problem such as the one you got or the one I just got now. I have no idea why my result now is different than what I saw before.

So I'm not sure exactly what's going on but it seems there's a problem with rename.

Mike
Attachments
Everything 1.png
Everything 1.png (10.76 KiB) Viewed 7478 times
Everything 2.png
Everything 2.png (12.13 KiB) Viewed 7478 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

The error code 80070057 seems to indicate there is an issue with the filesystem on J:
Did you already run a disk check on your system?
  • In File Explorer, right click your J:-drive and click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab.
  • Click Check now...
  • Click Start
  • If prompted to schedule a scan on the next restart, click Yes.
MikeA01730

Post by MikeA01730 »

That's odd. There's no J: on that machine and in any case I was working on C:. Also Disk 0 is an SSD replacement for the HDD that I installed about a year ago to speed this machine up and there have been no problems. See below.

Mike
Attachments
Disk Management 2020-08-23.png
Disk Management 2020-08-23.png (31.79 KiB) Viewed 7466 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

MikeA01730 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:50 pm That's odd. There's no J: on that machine
That is certainly odd .. I have no idea where that J:-drive came from in my mind. Probably some short-circuited braincells or a mix-up with another thread :? Sorry for confusion ...
MikeA01730

Post by MikeA01730 »

So, can this be considered as a proposed enhancement? Or do you consider it a bug?

If I were calling the shots I'd probably call it a bug. Different results on different PCs (which shouldn't happen) and an unhelpful message where a helpful one shouldn't be that hard to produce.

Should I re-enter this in the Bug Report section?

Mike
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Everything let the operating system do the actual copying/moving/.. and gets results back from the operating system.
The vague messages come from the OS. The only thing Everything can do, is intercepting some more common error messages and replace them with it's own message.
But that is virtually impossible to do for all the gazillion different error messages Windows generates.
MikeA01730 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:57 pm Should I re-enter this in the Bug Report section?
That is not necessary; @void reads all messages. And also: I don't think it's a bug (but it is a good suggestion! :))