Add version number support for EXEs/DLLs

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
davidimagitech

Add version number support for EXEs/DLLs

Post by davidimagitech »

Sometimes it is useful as a programmer to check the version numbers of EXEs/DLLs in a folder/in the search results.

In Windows Explorer if you hover over an EXE or DLL then its version number is displayed, and you can optionally show a File version column in the Details view too.

It would be nice if Everything supported this too (because Windows Explorer's search is pants compared to Everything :lol:).

Cheers.
NotNull

Re: Add version number support for EXEs/DLLs

Post by NotNull »

davidimagitech wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:44 pm In Windows Explorer if you hover over an EXE or DLL then its version number is displayed, and you can optionally show a File version column in the Details view too.

It would be nice if Everything supported this too
Everything already supports that. It is Windows that is the limiting factor here.

As a test, copy Everything.exe to any folder in "c:\program files\" or your desktop an hover above it.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Ensure you have an Original version of Everything.
In my Windows 7 there is a version number in details.
Everything has no DLL file.
therube

Post by therube »

Is there a Pref / .ini setting that controls this?
(There must be.)
froggie

Post by froggie »

/listview_tooltips=0 off

/listview_tooltips=1 on
therube

Post by therube »

(I probably looked that one over, earlier, so I'm going to suppose that to see the change an Everything restart is needed?)
froggie

Post by froggie »

No, I do not believe so.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Ah .. I see that I misinterpreted the question.
It is about showing the file version of executables in Everything's tooltips / infotips
therube

Post by therube »

(I probably looked that one over, earlier, so I'm going to suppose that to see the change an Everything restart is needed?)
Maybe it was /show_mouseover & /show_detailed_listview_tooltips that I looked at?
Restart not needed.
But /show_detailed_listview_tooltips must be set to 1 for /listview_tooltips to be of use.
davidimagitech

Post by davidimagitech »

Some people have misunderstood the suggestion - I'm not saying that Eveything.exe lacks version information, more that there is no easy way to show the any EXEs/DLLs file version information (e.g. 1.0.5.35) that I've come across in Everything (i.e. a file version column in Eveything's ListView, and no file version information in the tooltip when hovering over a file in Everything's ListView).

Tooltips and detail tooltips are enabled in my %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini
listview_tooltips=1
show_detailed_listview_tooltips=1

A dedicated column would of course be preferable, because you can then check multiple file version numbers without having to hover and pause over each individual EXE/DLL in the search results.

Cheers.