Copy|Move to Folder should work asynchronously

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
therube

Copy|Move to Folder should work asynchronously

Post by therube » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Edit, [Copy|Move] to Folder... should work asynchronously.

horst.epp

Re: Copy|Move to Folder should work asynchronously

Post by horst.epp » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:04 pm

therube wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:50 pm
Edit, [Copy|Move] to Folder... should work asynchronously.
In principle yes, but we are reaching the domain of file managers which typically already have such functions.
I still like Everything most for searching including preview of the results.
All the rest I do using it from inside of Total Commander.

void
Site Admin

Post by void » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:00 am

Moving the copy/move to folder to a thread is currently in development.

Thanks for the suggestion.

therube

Post by therube » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:25 pm

(Well, Everything is, everything, including a file manager ;-).
And, it is great, at everything, including pulling sets of files from very diverse locations &... moving them, say, into a single folder.
[Not something easily done in TC or Salamander.]
Currently, copy/move ties up Everything, until the copy/move operation is complete.
And if the copy/move data set is large enough, say multi-GB, that can be rather time consuming.
And not being able to use Everything during that time, well... :-).)

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:54 pm

therube wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:25 pm
And, it is great, at everything, including pulling sets of files from very diverse locations &... moving them, say, into a single folder.
[Not something easily done in TC or Salamander.]
Thats done easily in TC.
Its even the default if you copy or move from a search result into one target
and can only be changed with some plugin :(

Stamimail

Post by Stamimail » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:16 pm

I don't use "copy/move to folder", since the Locate Folder Dialog-Box is cumbersome.
I prefer to open the target in Explorer and then use Ctrl+C (in Everything) and Ctrl+V (in Explorer).
I agree there are some circumstances Everything "gets stuck" while handling. Not everything is perfect.
One program I liked the way of handling of multi-tasking is Beyond Compare. It opens a progress bar at bottom pane for each progressive task. (Sorry, I didn't find an online pic to show this feature)

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:56 pm

Stamimail wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:16 pm
I don't use "copy/move to folder", since the Locate Folder Dialog-Box is cumbersome.
Same here!
I use drag/drop instead (and sometimes I type in the Folder: box as it will auto-suggest/complete foldernames)

therube

Post by therube » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:32 pm

(Win7) allows pasting into the dialog into the dialog (& Salamander allows copying the path that I wanted pasted, so just a matter of copy path from Salamander, paste into (Windows) Folder dialog box, done.

Once set, Everything remembers that location, so simply a matter of Shift+F6 to move the next batch of files (to the same/last location).

I prefer to open the target in Explorer and then use Ctrl+C (in Everything) and Ctrl+V (in Explorer).
That's what I had been using (but I tend to accumulate stragglers, left open Explorer windows), or pasting directly into Salamander.

I guess my real problem is (once again) LFN.
In that, I select a bunch of files, then paste them where I want them, & nothing happens - because of LFN.

(And a bulb went off), I find the same sets of files that I want, but in my search I include, path:len:<260, & with that my LFN issues are bypassed.
Now I miss some files that way, but at least I get the larger portion, done, easily.
After the fact, I can go back & mop up the leftovers.

(And once Everything handles LFN on Copy/Move, then I can drop path:len: & no longer concern myself with this.)