File List: export content hook

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
andekande

File List: export content hook

Post by andekande »

I am having a very close look at the tool. My intended use case is creating an DVD archive. So, filenames are not the category I'd like to search for, but file content. I have seen some requests like searching id3 or iptc tags. For me it would be enough to search for text in .txt or .nfo

Of course this blows up indexes and severely affects performance. That's why I'd like to propose to offer that only for the commandline -export-efu. Docu says now: "will only export indexed information. Combine -export-efu with -size, -date-modified, -date-created and/or -attributes to gather this information."

What I envision is too use Windows built-in SearchHandlers (implementation of IFilter) to additionally extract file content.

This could come built-in, or via a plugin. The Plugin approach would need a hook to provide the additional content in a dedicated column.

Similarly a accompanying plugin would then be offered to hook into Everything's search to also consider the text content from efu files.
horst.epp

Re: File List: export content hook

Post by horst.epp »

IFilter's are already used for content searches in Everything
and it makes no sense to export content.
andekande

Post by andekande »

true when the files are 'online'
yet, i was looking for an archiving strategy -> search a dvd catalogue 'offline'
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything may add support for exporting properties and content in a future release.

Thanks for the suggestion.