An Important Suggestion to Metadata Searching

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
HungerFreeze

An Important Suggestion to Metadata Searching

Post by HungerFreeze »

Introduction
I know that Everything Search’s team had already said they might be able to include the ability to search through the metadata of a file by the next version, or the foreseeable future. I wanted to mention a detail that’s very important and would make metadata searching much more fruitful. Without it, metadata searching would only include searching through very few files such as jpegs and mp3s. Kinda' pointless.

Searching a File’s Metadata
I tried almost every popular tagging and metadata program that exist. I admit some are really beautiful but I'm sorry to say this but they are all fundamentally flawed and useless. (I’ve tried SetTags, Tabbles, XnView MP, TagSpaces, Tag Explorer, MetaData++, TaggedFrog, Elyse, Rummage, et. each for several weeks.) I really wanted to make at least one of them work because a few looked really pretty and I’m into aesthetics. However, in practical terms, they all stunk. I really didn't get it. What were they thinking?!

Every single of the above programs had their own tagging system. They didn’t complement Window’s metadata system; they had an entirely separate tagging system. That might not sound retarded when I explain it like this but let me explain every single step you had to do. To tag something, you had to open the tagging program which takes a few seconds, find the file within the program’s own Folder Tree (can take a while), and then add the tag(s) to the file. Furthermore, you couldn’t even add your own metadata fields; you were only allowed to add simple tags to the file. Later, when you needed to find the file, you had to open the tagging program, search the tag, and then find the file among a list and then perhaps open the file from that program if they have the ability. This is idiotic! Why couldn’t you just tag the file directly from Windows File Explorer? Why couldn’t you add other metadata fields like Address or Nickname? It was really stupid!

The only program that I found that did its job was a program called FileMeta. It’s an ugly program and it doesn’t operate smoothly but it does what it sets out to do. It really does. You can add additional metadata fields to files and you then have the ability to add various metadata fields to any type of extension you wanted. This all shows up in the Details Pane in folders, the Details tab in the file’s Properties setting, and the file’s InfoTips. Isn’t that all you would want? What's with all the fancy stuff that only slows down your computer?

So, to the Everything Search Team, please consider including FileMeta's metadata in your search. Normally, Windows File Explorer modifies a file itself to alter its metadata. FileMeta creates an XML file that is associated with a file but Windows File Explorer still recognizes the new metadata and displays it in the metadata fields.

Search a Folder’s Metadata
Most people don’t realize that you can create metadata fields for folders too! You don’t need a program but you change the desktop.ini file that you can create and hide in the folder.
Everything Search Team, please consider searching through the desktop.ini file for each indexed folder as well. Please! It'll make Everything Search perfect.
Stamimail

Re: An Important Suggestion to Metadata Searching

Post by Stamimail »

HungerFreeze wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:38 am Search a Folder’s Metadata
Most people don’t realize that you can create metadata fields for folders too! You don’t need a program but you change the desktop.ini file that you can create and hide in the folder.
Everything Search Team, please consider searching through the desktop.ini file for each indexed folder as well. Please! It'll make Everything Search perfect.
Can you give an example please
void
Developer

Re: An Important Suggestion to Metadata Searching

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback.

The plan is to use the existing Windows properties/tags with the Windows Property System.
You'll be able to search, sort by or index all 'Windows Properties'.

Everything will have a database to override Windows Properties.

Folder properties will also be supported via the Desktop.ini