2 minor suggestions

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
NotNull

2 minor suggestions

Post by NotNull »

I use a RAM disk (T:) that is partially seen as a NTFS volume by Everything (it is shown under NTFS Indexing)

However, NTFS indexing can't be used. Probably because Everything uses the Win32 device namespace to access it:
(My guess: the RAM disk software creates a volume that is not fully compatible with "normal" NTFS filesystems, although it has an USN Journal and a $MFT)
ntfs_volume_guids="\\\\?\\Volume{some-guid}","\\\\.\\T:"
ntfs_volume_paths="C:","T:"
Suggestion is to hide/remove/gray out/... this kind of volumes from the NTFS volumes list

(RAM disk software is imdisk toolkit, btw)

Because NTFS indexing isn't an option for this volume, I added T:\ as a folder index:
2020-03-18 23_49_34-Window.png
2020-03-18 23_49_34-Window.png (15.14 KiB) Viewed 6846 times
When I select T:\ and press teh Rescan Now button, Everything will first try to scan the (offline) M:\ network share.
So I have to wait the ~30 seconds for the network timeout before T:\ is scanned.
My guess is that Everything tries (again) to catch up due to a missed schedule (folder_update_rescan_asap=1).

I will experiment a little more with varying settings, but in my opinion Rescan Now should only rescan the selected drive/folder.
void
Developer

Re: 2 minor suggestions

Post by void »

Everything appears to index imdisktoolkit ramdisk volumes OK:

I used the stock settings with the 256MB disk size. Running Everything as an administrator.

What is shown in the Everything debug console when you include your ramdisk and force a rebuild?
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER: (I assume you know this already NotNull ;) )
    /debug
  • From the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab.
  • Make sure Include in database is checked for the ramdisk.
  • Click the Indexes tab.
  • Click Force rebuild.
  • What is shown in the debug console?
Everything will first try to scan the (offline) M:\ network share.
Does the [Rescanning] text show next to M: before clicking Rescan Now? or after clicking Rescan Now? could you please send the debug output when clicking Rescan Now? -Everything should give priority to the selected folder, even if the M: drive missed a scheduled update.

Basically Everything sets a flag on this folder index to update it immediately. This flag has higher priority than any scheduled update time.

-If Everything was already rescanning the M: drive, clicking the Rescan Now button for the T: drive will not start until the current M: rescan is complete.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:22 am Everything appears to index imdisktoolkit ramdisk volumes OK:
It does whan running as administrator. Not so much when running as regular user (+ Everything Service)

I'll get back to you on this. Let me play around a bit first :)
void
Developer

Post by void »

There's no volume GUID for this ram disk, which you have probably already noticed.
Everything instead uses \\.\X: to access the raw volume.

This works when running Everything as an administrator. However, when running as a standard user, the Everything service is expecting a \\?\volume{guid}.
The Everything Service Server will disconnect any client trying to open a volume that is not a \\?\volume{guid}.

I've added support to open \\.\x: volumes to the Everything service in 1.4.1.970.

It is odd that administrator privileges are required to access the ram drive, as most non-system drives do not require administrator privileges.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Just tested version 1.4.1.974:

The Everything Service now is able to read the RAM disk too. Nice!

I can't reproduce the Rescanning order issue. It (now?) works exactly like you described :?
So ... all is good :) Thanks a lot!