Indexing not to interrupt search

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
em-1024

Indexing not to interrupt search

Post by em-1024 »

I have been a happy user of Everything for a long time. I have noticed that when I add network shares to a new installation or a new network share to an existing installation, Everything becomes non-responsive while it's indexing these new drives.

I think it would be great if the search window would still respond with whatever results it has even if they are incomplete.
NotNull

Re: Indexing not to interrupt search

Post by NotNull »

Updating in the background is on the to do list for the upcoming major release of Everything (unknown release date).

Although I think - based on the little I know about the inner workings of Everything - that new folders/volumes use a different routine and can not easily be accessed on-the-fly before all entries are processed. This is due to the database layout.
But I might be wrong about that.
em-1024

Post by em-1024 »

That is great that it's in progress.

Can there be different databases for each drive and just return what is able to be returned???... That would allow for non-indexing drives to return data. At least it would from my limited view.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

em-1024 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:22 pm That is great that it's in progress.

Can there be different databases for each drive and just return what is able to be returned???... That would allow for non-indexing drives to return data. At least it would from my limited view.
Take a look at IndexThis. Is that something that can help you?