User Defined Icons, Colours For Each Filter Category

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
hakusa

User Defined Icons, Colours For Each Filter Category

Post by hakusa »

I've searched the forum but couldn't find this suggestion, sorry if it is repetetion. User defined icons for each filter category or background colours or texts colour. Because sometimes I switch to Flac filter, file filter, folder filter etc and forget to set it back to everything (search for all types) filter. By seeing no result I decide there's no such folder. file in my hdd. And such mistakes make me download the same file(s) again.
void
Developer

Re: User Defined Icons, Colours For Each Filter Category

Post by void »

Filter icons and custom color filters are on my TODO list.

Thanks or the suggestions.

The current active filter is shown in the status bar to the right.
You can double click the filter text in the status bar to set the Everything filter as the active filter.

Please consider changing your Home filter:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Home tab on the left.
  • Change Filter to Everything.
  • Click OK.
This will default your new search windows to use the Everything filter.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You can also enable the filter-bar. It will be shown next to the search bar.
Default it is placed to the right, but you can also put it to the left, to make it better visible/ more difficult to overlook.

Like this:
Attachments
Filterbar.gif
Filterbar.gif (171.9 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

This is uncanny... I just logged in to request this same feature, then see hakusa asked for this feature just before me. I'm constantly perplexed why my search results aren't what I expect to see, until I realize that the title bar is set to a previously used filter.

Having the filter bar display a user specified color whenever it's set to anything except "Everything" would be great.

Meanwhile, the suggestions by void and NotNull are helpful, thanks.
hakusa

Post by hakusa »

Another thing might be useful: Filter bar text could be aligned to center.
BTW thank you NotNull.
jmtces

Post by jmtces »

I was just about to make a similar suggestion as I was unaware of the Filter Bar and often had 0 (zero) search results because I forgot to switch the filter back to "Everything". Still it would be good to have a colour and/or icon indication either in the Title Bar or the background of the Search Menu Item text to let you know that the current search is filtered.
stevewills

Post by stevewills »

Having the filter bar display a user-specified color (whenever it's set to anything except "Everything") would be great.

I second that idea. That would be very helpful and efficient as well.
PhredE

Post by PhredE »

This sounds like a great idea to particularise an exception condition - a colour/color displayed when a filter is active.
Bulk Rename Utility and Caelo's multi-account merging NEO Email Organiser both do this, as just two examples.

It does make me think that given the number of options Everything has, perhaps it's time for a 'Button Bar' as, for instance, Total Commander has, that provides many visual cues for current settings. The Button Bar in TC, BTW, can have multiple levels of bars rather than just one the width of the UI.
The Pareto Principle applies here: that 80% of common functionality can usually be embraced by 20% of all options available.

And thanks to NotNull for the moving graphic. (I wonder how he did that..) Everyone should pay attention to the placing of the filter control to the left of the search field where it's much more noticeable, imo. Who knew?*

Associatedly, it's quite a journey to the far right bottom corner to double-click the filter annunciator to turn it off, and reaching for your mouse and accurately selecting the filter drop-down and making a new selection is low on the list of GUI usability, imho.
This is where a button bar could serve a great purpose, colour and all. Assignable kb shortcuts to buttons would help too; tabbing around the Ethg UI never lands on the filter drop-down. A pity.

[*Update: nothing's ever completely simple: I now find that the journey to the search history drop-down is maximally increased - to the far right. Now it's tab to Search, Alt down-arrow for the history list. C'est la vie.]