Clear Custom Folder Indexes at each startup

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
wnzknvbl
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:20 am

Clear Custom Folder Indexes at each startup

Postby wnzknvbl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:24 am

Is this possible? I'm talking about the Folders you can add under Indexes > Folders. It would be really handy.

void
Site Admin
Posts: 3488
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Clear Custom Folder Indexes at each startup

Postby void » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:03 am

Currently no, would you go into Tools -> Options -> Folders -> Update Now when you want to index the folders?

Running multiple instances maybe a better solution.
Run a named 'folder index' instance when you wish to access your folder indexes, keep the folder indexes out of your default instance.

wnzknvbl
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:20 am

Re: Clear Custom Folder Indexes at each startup

Postby wnzknvbl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:30 pm

void wrote:Currently no, would you go into Tools -> Options -> Folders -> Update Now when you want to index the folders?

Yes, or make a new menu option under tools for that. Any plans to implement such an option?
void wrote:Running multiple instances maybe a better solution.
Run a named 'folder index' instance when you wish to access your folder indexes, keep the folder indexes out of your default instance.

But the folder index instance would still not be cleared at each startup.

therube
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Clear Custom Folder Indexes at each startup

Postby therube » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:01 pm

a new menu option under tools for that

You can set a keyboard shortcut (Options | General -> Keyboard) for 'Indexes | Folders | Rescan All Now'.

void
Site Admin
Posts: 3488
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Clear Custom Folder Indexes at each startup

Postby void » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:36 am

Yes, or make a new menu option under tools for that. Any plans to implement such an option?


No, I don't understand the need to have the folder indexes cleared. Could you please give a little more detail.
It could be done now by copying an empty Everything.db before starting Everything and using folder_update_rescan_asap, although it's a little tricky to setup, let me know if something like this interests you.

Is this for security / privacy reasons?
Would the database be cleared on Everything exit or on Everything startup?

wnzknvbl
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:20 am

Re: Clear Custom Folder Indexes at each startup

Postby wnzknvbl » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:44 am

void wrote:No, I don't understand the need to have the folder indexes cleared. Could you please give a little more detail.
It could be done now by copying an empty Everything.db before starting Everything and using folder_update_rescan_asap, although it's a little tricky to setup, let me know if something like this interests you.


It seems like a solution albeit a bit complicated one

void wrote:Is this for security / privacy reasons?
Would the database be cleared on Everything exit or on Everything startup?

Yes this is for security/privacy reasons.
It would be best if it is cleared on Everything exit as long as shutting down the computer without explicitly exiting Everything does not prevent the db clear.


Return to “Suggestions”