Strip invalid characters automatically

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
char101

Strip invalid characters automatically

Post by char101 »

Hi,

I would like to suggest an option to strips invalid characters that cannot be used in filename in Windows system (i.e. < > : " / \ | ? *) from the search terms because, well these characters will only results in empty result. Also it will make it easier when copy pasting the search query from paragraphs that could contain these invalid characters.

Thanks.
void
Developer

Re: Strip invalid characters automatically

Post by void »

Added to my TODO list, thanks for the suggestion!
char101

Post by char101 »

Thank you.

Since all of these characters are used in Everything search syntax, is there a way to have Everything strips these characters instead of processing them? Maybe something like a Match LIteral mode?
void
Developer

Post by void »

A "Match punctuation" option is on my TODO list.

I should also mention that you can use : and \ in your rename text to move the file to another relative or absolute folder.
I can ignore : when it is not valid, but ignoring the \ might be a little more difficult, it may need an ini option to disable.

For example, you can rename 123.txt to ABC\123.txt and Everything will create the relative subfolder ABC and move the file 123.txt into that.
char101

Post by char101 »

I don't think \ need to be ignored when renaming since I can't imagine someone types \ and then want it to be ignored. Since the renaming pattern uses % placeholders, the user will most likely type it manually.
therube

Post by therube »

Similarly, Filter: ignore.