Quick Searching (the results file list)

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
therube

Quick Searching (the results file list)

Post by therube »

RFE: Quick Searching (the results file list):

A feature that would fit well with Everything, I would think.
No sense in trying to explain it, when I can simply copy/point to it:

---

Quick Searching File or Directory Name

You can quickly find any desired name in the list of directories and files. Just start typing a name, and the first name with the typed prefix will be focused. You can extend this prefix with Right arrow key, and on the contrary you can clip this prefix with Left arrow key or Backspace key. To focus the next or previous name with the same prefix, use Down or Up arrow key. To leave quick search mode, use Escape key.

While Altap Salamander is in quick search mode, following keys are used for walking through files and directories which matches quick search mask: Up, Down, Page Up, Page Down, Home, End, Shift+Up, Shift+Down, Shift+Page Up, Shift+Page Down, Shift+Home, Shift+End, Alt+Up, Alt+Down, Alt+Home, and Alt+End. Keys with Shift modifier select or unselect files and directories and keys with Alt modifier walk only through selected files and directories. See Main Window Keyboard Shortcuts.

Advanced Usage

When you type slash (/), backslash (\), or less than (<) character, it will substitute any part of name (similar to '*' in file masks). Trailing dot (.) character is ignored when name has no extension. Examples: ...

http://www.altap.cz/salamander/help/sal ... k_qsearch/

---

So, with that, I have a listing of all my .mp3's:

> .mp3

The list is extensive, & I'm in the results list.
"Jethro Tull" pops into my head.

I don't want to filter my list (further).

My filenames might be like:
"Jethro Tull - Suite Judy Blue Eyes"
or
"Thick as a brick - Jethro Tull"

Typing J, will take me to J, but that might take me to Jamiroquai.
Typing JE, gets me closer, but I could end up at, Jean Michel Jarre.
Typing JETH would probably work, but would miss the song in the format (Title - Artist).
Typing /je*tull will most likely get me everything I'm after.
:-)
void
Developer

Re: Quick Searching (the results file list)

Post by void »

A search within a search!
I too would find this useful.

I've thought about adding a little quick-find bar at the bottom of the search window (just above the status bar)
Focus would stay in the result list, but typing text would change an edit in this quick-find bar.
The bar would only appear when you start typing text in the result list, and would disappear after 5ish seconds of inactivity.

Similar to the jump to search that is currently in Everything, but with more options.
Regex, match case etc, find next, find previous come to mind.

I like the idea of using wild cards, or even the same syntax as Everything, eg: je tull mp3 (= je AND tull AND mp3)