Smarter results order

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
daroc

Smarter results order

Post by daroc »

I don't like Search Everything [SE] results sorting. E.g. I search for "Dropbox" and the first item is .dropbox.cache, instead of Dropbox. I know that a dot is before A when sorting ASC but I think that SE should display exact match result higher in the results. It could also prioritize:

0) Exact match
1) Words and CamelCase so e.g. if I had folders Dropbox and DropBox, then searching for "drop box" would display first DropBox and then Dropbox
2) Rank file/folder name higher than path (so typing Windows with path matching would bring C:\Windows much higher in results than it's descendants; currently if I type "Windows", the first item is C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$ instead of C:\Windows itself, doh)
... maybe some other I haven't thought about.

I understand that you probably don't want to change current behavior of sorting by columns, as it's easy to understand and maintain. But maybe you could provide additional column called "Relevancy" which would contain match score and sorting by it would give effect as described above?
void
Developer

Re: Smarter results order

Post by void »

Thanks for the suggestion.

Having the results sorted by "Relevancy" would be great.
I would personally like executable / documents files to be listed higher.

I'll have a look at implementing something like this and if it doesn't effect the performance of Everything too much I'll include a relevancy sort option in a future release.
Meharis

Re: Smarter results order

Post by Meharis »

Hi, I can only agree with daroc. When I search for

in the end

it makes more sense to get a result that contains all three words in the name at first in the list instead of getting a result list starting with the first match with
in

E.g. List

in the end
in the
in end

instead of
in
the
in end
I Think this is what You meant by "relevancy".
Thanks for reading!