Ideas for Everything installers

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
mooms

Ideas for Everything installers

Post by mooms »

Hello David, I'm glad to see you are back !

I have two suggestions for the installer(s):

1- Add a switch to install Everything silently (maybe also some switches to choose to install the service, the port, etc....)
Something like that would be cool: "Everything-installer.exe -appdata -silent -service -P:21485"

2- Merge the x64 and x86 installer.
therube

Re: Ideas for Everything installers

Post by therube »

Is this part of it:

> -service-port <port>
> Connect to the Everything service on the specified port.
mooms

Post by mooms »

Yes, I have seen it can be configured after the install, the main suggestion is about allowing silent installation & merging the installers.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the suggestions.
1- Add a switch to install Everything silently (maybe also some switches to choose to install the service, the port, etc....)
Something like that would be cool: "Everything-installer.exe -appdata -silent -service -P:21485"
Use the portable version and see Install command line options.

For example:

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -install "C:\Program Files\Everything" -install-options "-app-data -install-desktop-shortcut -install-efu-association -install-folder-context-menu -install-service -install-service-port 15485 -install-start-menu-shortcuts"
This will copy Everything.exe to C:\Program Files\Everything and run it with the specified install options.
Merge the x64 and x86 installer.
I tried this with previous versions.
I would prefer to leave the choice up to the user, rather than have one bloated installer.
I will review this again, perhaps I can add one more all-in-one installer along side the others...
therube

Post by therube »

> 2- Merge the x64 and x86 installer

(On an x64 system) how would the installer know which version to install?
For that to be beneficial, to me, it would have to prompt.

As it is, I run the x86 version on both x86 & x64 OS's, as I see no benefit to an x64 version of Everything (bragging rights?) so why bother.

If there comes a time where I do see an actual benefit, then at that time I'll deal with separate installs (unzip's ;-)).
mooms

Post by mooms »

Thanks for the answer.

My goal is to install Everything unattended,with custom configuration. (launching it at startup and in my language)
I want to use Everything x86 for 32bits Win and Everything x64 for 64 bits Win.

Using the executable to install it seems cool, but I suppose it don't create entries in add/remove programs (uninstall in command line is not user-friendly).

Currently, I use a custom-made 7zip SFX who runs an inf file for installing & setting up Everything, and allows uninstallation via the control panel, but using the original installer should allow more simple upgrade.

Merging the installers would be a gain for the size, I can easily merge them myself inside a 7 zip SFX that will automatically launch the right one, but I can't use the officials installers because they can't be used unattended.

An "universal" installer can still offer the choice of the version, both in GUI and command-line.
mooms

Post by mooms »

Bump !
void
Developer

Post by void »

NSIS installer command line options:
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Which_comma ... installers

/S does work, however, it still asks for the current language and uses the default install options.

I've added to my things to do list to support silent installation with command line options to change the install options.
RicaNeaga

Post by RicaNeaga »

I second this request, and I hope a silent installer will soon be easily configurable.

For the ''command line options'' you mentioned, please also see this request, hopefully those important settings can be easily modified from the default values via those command line option for the silent installer.

void
Developer

Post by void »

I've added the following command line option to the Everything installer in Everything 1.3.4.685b:

-install-options "<install options>" - Specify the install options. Must be in quotes.
/S - Silent install.
/D=<location> - Install location (this must be specified last with no quotes)

To install Everything silently:

Everything-Setup.exe /S -install-options "<install options>" /D=<install location>
Where <install options> can be one or more of the following options:
http://www.voidtools.com/support/everyt ... e_options/

If no install options are specified the existing install options are used.
If no existing install options are available, the default install options are used.

Example:

Everything-Setup.exe /S -install-options "-app-data -disable-run-as-admin -install-desktop-shortcut -install-service -install-service-port 15485 -install-start-menu-shortcuts -language 1033" /D=C:\Program Files\Everything
The default install options are:

Everything-Setup.exe /S -install-options "-app-data -disable-run-as-admin -disable-update-notification -install-efu-association -uninstall-folder-context-menu -uninstall-quick-launch-shortcut -install-run-on-system-startup -install-service -install-service-port 15485 -install-start-menu-shortcuts -uninstall-url-protocol -language 1033" /D=C:\Program Files\Everything
mooms

Post by mooms »

Thank you void, it works well.
Do you plan merging the installers ? Only one installer, with all languages & architecture, means less works for you (one installer versus four), and a better compression for folks like me that want to have a universal one (and also less confusing for noobs).
Kirck

Post by Kirck »

Thanks for all these options to the installer :)

I would like to suggest a new uninstaller's option, keep the config user file for a possible reinstallation.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will consider the option to keep user files when uninstalling Everything.
For now I recommend you backup everything in %APPDATA%\Everything (or C:\Program Files\Everything for Everything 1.2) before uninstalling.