Make exclude hidden & system files an install checkbox

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
RicaNeaga

Make exclude hidden & system files an install checkbox

Post by RicaNeaga »

I already reported a bug related to this here, but I find the subject very important and I'll explain why.

I recommended this app to a friend of mine, that isn't an advanced user, and he managed to delete something from the windows folder (I think) and had to reinstall windows afterwards.

A checkbox in the install screens of the app would be great, so I can ask other people to be very cautious when installing and to check it, and so the protected & hidden files won't be present in the search results.

Also, this kind of checkbox would make newcommers to your app more aware of what they can do with your app, and decide for themselves if they want to check it or not. Only a ''hidden'' option in the app's menu I believe isn't the best idea. :)
RicaNeaga

Re: Make exclude hidden & system files an install checkbox

Post by RicaNeaga »

Hello again!

Great to see that this wonderful app is still under development.

I still have the same request, the reasons was mentioned in the previous post, but I'd like to show it via the apps options to make it simpler :)

1. Options to uncheck hidden and system files right from the install process via a checkbox, and also in the ''silent installer command line options'' you mentioned here
1.png
1.png (42.44 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
2. Option in the ''silent installer command line options'' you mentioned here to exclude files and folders from the default search (C:/Windows and C:/Program Files comes to mind, again, for the same reasons, for novice users)

3. Option in the ''silent installer command line options'' you mentioned here to hide search result when search is empty
2.png
2.png (50 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
4. Option in the ''silent installer command line options'' you mentioned here to show ''everything'' in folder context menus
3.png
3.png (50.71 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Thank you again :)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Maybe the option in the silent installer to specify an Everything.ini that would be installed also. This would cover every option in Everything.

I'm looking at adding the following command line options to the installer to make it silent:
Everything-Setup.exe /S -install-options "-app-data -disable-updates -install-service etcetc" -config MyDefaultSettings.ini /D C:\install path

-install-options would override the default install options.
-config would copy the specified ini to Everything.ini in the installdir.
RicaNeaga

Post by RicaNeaga »

That would be fantastic and it would cover everything that's silent installer related. :)

Also, please consider also adding to the normal / regular installer the ''exclude hidden & system files'' checkbox, that prechecks those two boxes in everything's options.

Thank you again :)
void
Developer

Post by void »

I've added installer command line options

You can specify an Everything.ini to install with the -install-options command line option, for example:

Code: Select all

Everything-Setup.exe /S -install-options "-install-config MyEverything.ini" /D=C:\Program Files\Everything
RicaNeaga

Post by RicaNeaga »

Great! But can you please use smth else instead of quotes for the silent install options? I'm having trouble making a .7z silent installer because of the quotes before and after -install-config

I'll try to find another way, and report back :)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try triple quotes to escape a single quote.

Code: Select all

Everything-Setup.exe /S -install-options "-install-config """C:\Path with spaces\MyEverything.ini"""" /D=C:\Program Files\Everything