Windows-wide Global Hot Key

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Jerry

Windows-wide Global Hot Key

Post by Jerry »

Please add the ability to bind a global Windows-wide hot key to a function in Everything. Specifically, what I want is a key I can press anywhere in Windows (as long there were no conflicts) to take me to Focus Search Edit in the last active search window, and if a window is yet visible, it opens a new window.

I know there are global hot key utilities I may be able to install to do this, but I would prefer a builtin capability in Everything.
nagan

Re: Windows-wide Global Hot Key

Post by nagan »

If I understood you properly..it is already there. Tools>Options>General>Keyboard .The top 4 choices specifically address your wants , and they are Global until of course they are not in conflict with a reserved key.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

nagan wrote:If I understood you properly..it is already there. Tools>Options>General>Keyboard .The top 4 choices specifically address your wants , and they are Global until of course they are not in conflict with a reserved key.

The relevant shortcut I want is Search Edit | Focus Search Edit but I tried setting that to various "Global" keys (and restarted Everything) but can't get any to work when Everything does not have focus. I can't get File | New Search Window to work either. Can you?
nagan

Post by nagan »

Yes it does work.When the new window opens the cursor is positioned right at the search bar ready to take the new search , or if an existing Window is maximised the entire search query is highlighted which can be removed for a new search , if that is what you are reckoning? Is Tools>Options>Search --Focus Search on Activate is clicked?
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

nagan wrote:Yes it does work.When the new window opens the cursor is positioned right at the search bar ready to take the new search , or if an existing Window is maximised the entire search query is highlighted which can be removed for a new search , if that is what you are reckoning? Is Tools>Options>Search --Focus Search on Activate is clicked?
Yes to the very last question. I think my global shortcut mechanism in Windows may not be working entirely right, and I have a suspicion about a possible cause. So I'll investigate. Thanks.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I uninstalled the utility I thought was causing a conflict and rebooted, but I still can't get the Everything global hot keys to work when other applications have focus.

Just to be clear, nagan, if you click into any another application - say, Firefox, and while in that other application's window, you press an Everything configured global hot key. Are you then taken out of the Firefox window and into an Everything window?

I installed this other utility, Hot Key Explorer, which reports all the global hot keys and I don't see my Everything global hot keys showing up there. But hot keys I have enabled for other applications work fine and do show up.

Using Everything 1.3.3.658 on Win 7 Pro 64bit.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Just to be clear, nagan, if you click into any another application - say, Firefox, and while in that other application's window, you press an Everything configured global hot key. Are you then taken out of the Firefox window and into an Everything window?
Even as I was reading your post with ET residing fresh in the systray, pressing Alt+a (my shortcut) brought a new ET window , with the cursor ready to take the search.I am presently on XP x 86 , and earlier on random checks it worked well in Win 7 x 64 too. Might be I can confirm t'mrow for Win 7.Did you check if there are shortcut conflicts within ET?
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

nagan wrote:

Even as I was reading your post with ET residing fresh in the systray, pressing Alt+a (my shortcut) brought a new ET window , with the cursor ready to take the search.I am presently on XP x 86 , and earlier on random checks it worked well in Win 7 x 64 too. Might be I can confirm t'mrow for Win 7.Did you check if there are shortcut conflicts within ET?
Usually I get a warning about hot key conflicts. And I tried various crazy key combinations to avoid conflict. All did not work. None showed up in HotKey Explorer.

This is strange. I can understand a problem if no global hotkeys work at all. But it seems that only Everything's global hotkeys don't work. For whatever reason on my system, the evidence from HotKey Explorer indicates that OS is not seeing these settings.

Perhaps Everything is using a different API to set these global hotkeys than my other applications -- an API that doesn't work on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Is working fine in my Win 7 x 64. The show Window and new Window , both hot keys are working without a hitch.

Wonder if the "Boss"has gone on a sabbatical. It is nearly a week since he has responded to the posts. Hope he comes back soon! :)
olmectheholy

Post by olmectheholy »

My problem of not focusing is solved right after I select "Run as Administrator" from the main settings page of Everything. Hope it helps to you as well.