Could you add an option "update database manually" ?Thank yo

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
vurtikas

Could you add an option "update database manually" ?Thank yo

Post by vurtikas »

Basically my hard disk volume is bigger than 1,000G and I really really have a horrible amount of files on it. As a result, every first time I run Everything, it takes more than 1 minute to update the database. So it comes to me that if I can update the database manually, not automatically, it will be more than perfect. Because, in truth, the change of my files or folders on the disk is not that frequently at all, especially when it comes to the files/folders I actually WANT to search. And that means actually very often I can just use the OLD database to get a search result in any case. And anytime I need a new database, I just manually update it, this will be the most fantastic scenario for me.

Thank you! This tool is so amazing, it's a real beauty.
vsub

Re: Could you add an option "update database manually" ?Than

Post by vsub »

Not sure if this will help but maybe if you disable the option "Monitor Changes" on the hdd\partition,that won't scan for updates
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything can take several minutes to update after being started if you have renamed or deleted a lot of folders (1000+) while Everything was closed.

Are you renaming or deleting a lot of folders while Everything is closed?
vurtikas

Post by vurtikas »

vsub wrote:Not sure if this will help but maybe if you disable the option "Monitor Changes" on the hdd\partition,that won't scan for updates
Doesn't sound extremely convenient, nor am I sure it's something I'm looking for. But I will try. Thanks!

Still, since nowadays hdd volume is getting bigger and bigger -- You know, they're talking about 2TB and even 4TB. -- I still think it will be best to have an option.
vurtikas

Post by vurtikas »

void wrote:Everything can take several minutes to update after being started if you have renamed or deleted a lot of folders (1000+) while Everything was closed.

Are you renaming or deleting a lot of folders while Everything is closed?
HI, Void:
Honored to meet you!

No, I mean the FIRST run of Everything right after the power on of the computer. Don't mean the second run or beyond.
I was not renaming or deleting a lot of folders. But it seems even I was not doing so. Everything still will take nearly 2 minutes to update the database(again, I mean the first run of everything right after the power on of the computer. The second run or beyond? to me, actually doesn't matter that much).

Thank you so very much!
EricB

Post by EricB »

Hello,

I can confirm mentioned behaviour and support this request. In my case I've also indexed some server shares (which are indexed much slower than NTFS volumes) so it can take a few minutes after first start before Everything can be used (no searches possible during scan process). Maybe scanning in a background thread would be an alternative solution? Or some sort of delay before starting the scan (so not directly when starting Everything)? I know you can schedule the indexing, but nevertheless directly after initial start the indexing starts...

Regards, EricB
robertcollier4

Post by robertcollier4 »

vsub wrote:Not sure if this will help but maybe if you disable the option "Monitor Changes" on the hdd\partition,that won't scan for updates
If "Monitor changes" is disabled - then is there any way to trigger a manual "incremental rescan" via the command line?

Sometimes I am copying thousands of many files or in the middle of some very intensive archive / unarchival process. At that time, I do not want Everything to be competing with me for disk activity at all. So I would like to be able to "disable monitoring" via a command line flag (so I can make a start menu lnk shortcut to it). And then also be able to "enable monitoring" again via a command line flag.
vsub

Post by vsub »

You can close the program completely when you do those intensive tasks(keep the monitoring enabled)and when you start the program,it will automatically update the database.

The option...Tools=>Options=>General=>UI=>if Run in background is disabled,when you close the window,the program will be closed
void
Developer

Post by void »

The initial scan can take a few minutes...
I will consider the option to search during the initial scan, however, with such an option enabled, the indexing performance would be reduced.

I have plans to add dynamic indexing in a future release, with this you would be able to add and remove indexes without rebuilding the entire database.

Thanks for the suggestions.
jbeef

Re: Could you add an option "update database manually" ?Thank yo

Post by jbeef »

I love your product.. except this problem and its extremely frustrating. Often i can just find what I am looking for, quicker than the database updates.
And more often than not the thing i was searching for, was in the old database. I rarely ever am looking for something brand new.

SOMETIMES... i can even use a product like agent randsack and get the entire list of stuff i am looking for before everythings database is updated.

And well I feel like i shouldnt get quicker results with a search with no database, or by manually searching and yet often I do.

now thats not to say this product isnt useful MOST of the time, but the times that it annoys, it just feels like it has no real reason to.

just say "database will update after search, warning some results will not be displayed until database is updated" or something to that effect.
This product would be soooooooooooooo much better if you could do that and have less times of 30 second waits for everything to scan in the couple of changes to my system.

now i know you might think some people would be annoyed with this behavior but see they would have an option to get around it by updatiing the database. It shouldnt annoy too much since they are already used to the 30 second waits. right now, the rest of us who dont like the 30 second waits, have zero options to get around it.. except use a different product and limit its search.
void
Developer

Re: Could you add an option "update database manually" ?Thank yo

Post by void »

I can understand your frustration.

Hopefully Everything 1.4 helps with the reduce rebuild times and offline indexes support.

A manual update setting with an update now button is on my TODO list.