extended rename

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
adamantine

extended rename

Post by adamantine »

we already have a useful option 'do not select extension when renaming'

by default win xp does not provide such an option in windows explorer but nevertheless i have this possibility thanks to the tiny program 'pitaschio' (version 2.26) (it is free and requires no installation) and its option 'allow extended rename' which also allows to do 1 more convenient thing:
in windows explorer by pressing up/down (while renaming some file or folder) we get upper/lower file or folder selected and ready to be renamed

an example of what i suggest to implement:
step 1: select some file and press F2 http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5373/70722642.png
step 2: press 'up' http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3142/75768145.png
step 3: press 'down' 2 times http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1847/86951198.png

now we are not able to reproduce these steps in 'every-thing'. but it would be nice if we could do it
void
Developer

Re: extended rename

Post by void »

I will consider an option to allow up/down(/enter?) to change the result list edit focus.

Thanks for the suggestion.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

there is 1 little request concerning the option 'do not select extension when renaming'

i discovered that in 'every-thing' this feature works less conveniently comparing to its analogue in 'windows explorer + pitaschio'
the thing is that if you press 'F2' and afterwards - 'right', you receive incorrect position of cursor (which should be placed before the dot and not after it)

placing a cursor before extension and after the dot makes no sense to me since i never have to add some symbols to the beginning of extension but i very often have to add some symbols to the end of a file name
void
Developer

Post by void »

if you press 'F2' and afterwards - 'right', you receive incorrect position of cursor (which should be placed before the dot and not after it)
I have fixed this for the next beta release of Everything.

Thanks for the suggestion.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have changed this to an ini option for the next beta release.
rename_move_caret_to_selection_end
Set to 1 to enable.
Set to 0 to disable (default option).
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

while waiting for implementation of the idea from the 1st message of this topic ("an option to allow up/down to change the result list edit focus"), i would like to make another suggestion which could greatly improve the renaming possibilities in ET:

i mean a new option that may be entitled as 'text rename mode'. When enabled, titles of all folders/files (in 'search result' field) turn into a text (font/size/colour stay the same) which may be easily and quickly edited (like in notepad).
'Text rename mode' should also contain 2 settings: apply changes, discard changes

OR there may be another way (seemingly less difficult to implement but also maybe less interesting/innovative/powerful):
for example, there are some selected folders (in 'search result' field). From main menu (or from context menu) we select a new 'text rename' option, and a window of a system default text manager (notepad2 in my case) appears: with all the names (just names, not paths) of those selected folders; each name occupies 1 line.
Next steps are: rename what should be renamed, save the text file, close the text file. Then ET should instantly perform the renaming operation: according to the changes made in that temporary txt-file (which could be auto-created in c:\windows\temp)

i really hope that ET will become more friendly application when it comes to renaming. Because now it is impossible to manually (also normally/quickly/conveniently) rename multiple folders from different locations;
i managed to find a way (the application 'freename', version 0.1) for manual renaming of multiple files from 1 location (via editing a temporary txt-file) but that is only partial solution
therube

Post by therube »

adamantine

Post by adamantine »

therube
that topic is about other way to rename. i do not have that need (at least because i use the 'better file rename' program, and it has its context menu item inside ET)
while i suggested the substantially different and unique option concerning renaming

there is even 1 more option that i am suggesting (maybe quite odd but nevertheless):
a possibility to quickly rename any title that is displayed in the 'path' column (just like it is possible to rename any title in the 'name' column)