How to use Everything correctly with temporary indexes

General discussion related to "Everything".
Stamimail

How to use Everything correctly with temporary indexes

Post by Stamimail »

Everything has no indexes bar/sidebar with checkboxes where you can Add/Remove indexes easily by Check/Uncheck.

A user who is used to constantly connecting a lot of external devices to the computer, and wants as much search control as possible, how can he do it better?
void
Developer

Re: How to use Everything correctly with temporary indexes

Post by void »

I need to rewrite temporary indexes.

I had an implementation that I abandoned during development that would automatically add volumes in your search bar to your index.
For example, if you have \\nas\uploads in the search bar, Everything will automatically index and monitor this folder.
This lead to much confusion.

User action will be required to change your index.
The plan is to have a dropdown bar when you type in a volume into the search bar that is not indexed with an option to add it to your index:

Instead of 'this folder' I would mention the folder in question, eg: C:\Windows2

The Index -> Add volume menu needs to be added too.
I have concerns with the performance of populating this menu (the delay may feel too jarring, I will implement this for testing for 1.5a).

Adding volumes to and removing volumes from your temp indexes may not require a rebuild (this will need testing).
Temp indexes are intended for only a handful of files (< 1 million). For example an uploads folder on a NAS.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Do you think using multiple db files (simultonly) in Everything is an option?

I am also thinking of a scenario that the user might want to have 2 copies of an external drive index:

1. in Everything (indexes/db's) folder:
The default db (Everything.db) will be used for all volumes that the user uses on a daily basis.
Another db's will be added as temp indexes (when external devices plugged in) AND if the user wants, the db will remain for offline use when unplugged.
That is, the offline db will be a replacement for efu file.

2. a copy in the external drive itself. This file is the index of this drive. So in a case the user wants to search in the external drive from other Everything in other PC, he won't need to wait for building the db from scratch. He will be able to search immediately, and just updating it.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Do you think using multiple db files (simultonly) in Everything is an option?
Multiple database would hurt search performance too much.
The Mix files and folders option will give a good idea of the performance hit per database.
If users are happy with 'Mix files and folders' performance I will consider an option to support multiple databases in a future release.

For now, there is EFU file lists to create backups of your volumes.
Everything 1.5 will also keep your offline indexes by default.

Thank you for your suggestions, Stamimail.
donotbugme

Post by donotbugme »

A related older discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5335