"Everything" version 1.2.1.451a

General discussion related to "Everything".
stenionet

Post by stenionet »

void wrote:
When I double click or press enter over an image, the windows image viewer(the default image viewer of the windows) close and open. This make the operation slow."

I forgot to say: in the Everything-1.2.1.371.exe, the problem did not occur.
In this version, the image viewer did not close before open another image.
The problem is caused by starting an application with execute in a separate thread enabled.

To disable execute in a separate thread:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • In the Advanced Settings, under the General folder, uncheck Execute in a separate thread.
  • Click OK.
Did not work. The problem occur with image files only.
I tested with audio and video files and it is working fine.

I am sorry. The problem is with my system and not with the Everything.
Everything continues to work perfectly.
kookaburra2

Re: "Everything" version 1.2.1.451a

Post by kookaburra2 »

I just downloaded Everything-1.2.1.451a.zip. When I run Everything-1.2.1.451a.exe after extracting it, my Norton Internet Security thinks it is high risk, and quarantines it. Vista Business, all windows updates current. Norton Internet Security 2010 fully up to date.
I tried to upload Pics of messages but it wouldn't let me upload jpg's. Basically the messages say:
[Norton] SONAR has removed security risk, see Details, and
[Details] Suspicious behavior detected in everything-1.2.1.451a.exe.
It doesn't provide any further explanation of the nature of the "suspicions".
Any comments? Is it safe? What would it be doing that Norton finds suspicious?

Thanks for this super-fabulous program.

Is there a way to be alerted (email) of new alpha/beta/prod releases?
Boofo

Post by Boofo »

kookaburra2 wrote:I just downloaded Everything-1.2.1.451a.zip. When I run Everything-1.2.1.451a.exe after extracting it, my Norton Internet Security thinks it is high risk, and quarantines it. Vista Business, all windows updates current. Norton Internet Security 2010 fully up to date.
I tried to upload Pics of messages but it wouldn't let me upload jpg's. Basically the messages say:
[Norton] SONAR has removed security risk, see Details, and
[Details] Suspicious behavior detected in everything-1.2.1.451a.exe.
It doesn't provide any further explanation of the nature of the "suspicions".
Any comments? Is it safe? What would it be doing that Norton finds suspicious?

Thanks for this super-fabulous program.

Is there a way to be alerted (email) of new alpha/beta/prod releases?
I run NIS 2010 also and it is perfectly safe. It will give you the SONAR error when you first launch the program but once you accept it and tell it to ignore it, it will be fine.
kookaburra2

Post by kookaburra2 »

Using above version, Vista Business.
1. I had the exe (and the ini it had created) in folder X. Moved the exe and the ini to folder Y. Started exe. I expected it to use the ini in Y, but it made a fresh ini in X. OH, I just found SE was still resident, I'm used to knowing it is / not running based on icon / no icon in tray; no icon, so I'd assumed wrongly no SE. So this is not an issue after all, but it sucked me in coz of #2.
2. In Options | View, I can't see the setting status of any of the Advanced settings. There is no checkmark or radio button next to any of the items in the list, or anything else that shows the setting on or off. I tried a few of the settings - when I click on any line, the Apply button activates. The few I've tried did toggle when I Apply'ed, so the settings appear to be working, just that I can't tell which way they are set by looking. This makes it really really hard.
3. I'm thinking it would be nice if some visual status symbol or something was visible at all times to show which of the Search | Recent Changes options is in effect.
4. Options | Filters - I suggest the list include the <None> item so the list is the same as that in Search | Filter. The one in Options could depict that it is not customizable, but you could make it movable.
5. I can't see that I can edit the NAME of my filters. I'd like to be able to.
6. Options | General | Allow Multiple Windows doesn't seem to do anything. Regardless of which way it is set, Ctrl-N starts a new window, and New Search Window from the tray icon does nothing.
7. Regardless of which way Options | View | Allow Multiple Instances is set, I do get multiple instances. Remember #2 above, I'm assuming the setting is in fact toggling when I select it then Apply.
8. It sure would help if I knew how to upload little pics of some of these things. Something about a pic and 1000 words.
Did I mention that I think this is (one of) the best ever programs. Thanks a million.
therube

Post by therube »

how to upload little pics
You don't upload, but rather host them somewhere & provide links to or use Image
Boofo

Post by Boofo »

Is version 1.2.1.451a still the latest version or has it gone into closed beta now?
cacamama

Post by cacamama »

451a appears to be the latest beta. I wish David would update it already, the anticipation is killing me!
fabioq

Post by fabioq »

cacamama wrote:... the anticipation is killing me!
You and me!!
aa004

Post by aa004 »

Windows compatibility agent has popped up twice since I started using 451a saying that Everything is looking for flash.ocx. Everything's not calling flash.ocx is it??
void
Developer

Post by void »

Windows compatibility agent has popped up twice since I started using 451a saying that Everything is looking for flash.ocx. Everything's not calling flash.ocx is it??
"Everything" should not be calling flash.ocx.
Nnyan

Post by Nnyan »

Ok I'm getting an error whenever I attempt to open this file (tried three different unzip apps).

EDIT: Ok weird I downloaded using IE8 and it unzipped fine seems to be an issue with Google Chrome.
hsrstud

Post by hsrstud »

I'm wondering if this app is still being developed. It's been over 5 months since the last alpha release, so I just want to check, since I really like Everything and hope it will continue to be improved.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

I just installed 451a (Win7 x64) and it is impressive. I also have some Win7 x32 systems but have not had time to install on them. I've been beta testing another application and somehow I arrive at the point where I wanted to know how many files I had access to. Using Everything, one drive at a time (example "S:\" ) I scanned each drive and then totaled up the numbers.

My usage of Everything is rather simple as compared to others that I've seen post but I find it to be a SUPER valuable tool!

The question I have is - what is "Objects" that I see in the bottom left corner of the Everything window? This is the number I used for the number of files and it is close to what I find when I use Xplorer2 and scan the drive for *.* (it reports 5,889 items). I just need to verify some numbers and as I use different application I encounter different numbers and the numbers are labeled differently, e.g. Everything uses "objects" and Xplorer2 uses "items". I just want to ensure when I used a number I'm comparing an apple to an apple.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'm wondering if this app is still being developed. It's been over 5 months since the last alpha release, so I just want to check, since I really like Everything and hope it will continue to be improved.
I am still developing "Everything" in my free time.
what is "Objects" that I see in the bottom left corner of the Everything window?
In "Everything" "objects" refer to physical NTFS files and folders.

Other programs may report more items such as shell items and hard links or less items such as hidden NTFS folders.
hsrstud

Post by hsrstud »

Ok, thanks for the update! I appreciate your working on this program. It's truly amazing. Making a donation tonight for your effort.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Ok, thanks for the update! I appreciate your working on this program. It's truly amazing. Making a donation tonight for your effort.
Thanks for your support.
haitll

Post by haitll »

can't find any file in c:\windows\system32 folder. on windows 7
Boofo

Post by Boofo »

David, is there ever going to be another update to this? It has been quite a while now.
ArchCarrier

Post by ArchCarrier »

I found a small bug in this version: the item 'Search Syntax' in the Help menu pops up the Everything helpfile but says "This program cannot display the webpage."
void
Developer

Post by void »

David, is there ever going to be another update to this? It has been quite a while now.
I am working on a re-write of 451a, refining some of the functionality in hope of releasing a beta version.

I am sorry, I can not give a time estimate at this stage as there is still a lot of work to do.
Boofo

Post by Boofo »

Thank you. At least we know what is going on now. An info update once in a while can really make a difference. ;)
Stubi

Post by Stubi »

When I have the list of a search and right click on an item and select Open Path and open the folder and then close Everything I get a message "Everything has stopped working". This with Win7 32 bit.

Otherwise the best tool on Earth!!!

Have to change my problem. Did not want to delete it because others might get the same experience.

It was caused by Nero 10 Back it up. More and more applications crashed because of this in Win7 32. I uninstalled it and all problems are gone. Good that I did not have to uninstall Everything. Hard to be without it. :D
cacamama

Post by cacamama »

I presume the project is dead...
void
Developer

Post by void »

I am still working on "Everything" in my free time.
Stubi

Post by Stubi »

That is very good news that you are still working on it. Win7 has a better search function now than XP but still not as good as yours. And with my 6 TB disk space I could not find anything on my disks anymore without Everything. And how many files I discover that I have several times... Thank you a lot for it.
cacamama

Post by cacamama »

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be a dick, but it's been ages since the last build came out. Not that I have any gripes with .451a, I haven't encountered any bugs, and the core functionality is there, but it'd love to see it improved.

I remember you expressing your reluctance about releasing the source. I don't blame you, but it actually could speed up/revive development. There's no guarantee that development will take off with great speed, but it's better than nothing. I'd actually love to see "Everything" get picked up by Microsoft like they did with Sysinternals.

You could sell "Everything", but I doubt it'd bring in serious money. Despite my perception of "Everything" being the single most useful app I can imagine, many would consider it to be a "niche" app.

I'd still greatly appreciate it if you could somehow "speed things up".
vegas

Post by vegas »

Attitudes like yours (cacamama) only slow developers down that are working on volunteer projects. They don't want to be rushed on these undertakings. Take your time, we all look forward to whatever YOU do with the project, NOT a Microsoft. The majority of us, I would have to say, do NOT feel the way cacamama does. Thanks for everything you have done void and anything you MAY choose to release in the future. Have a great weekend. Dave
BDraft

Post by BDraft »

I'm totally agree with vegas, although all of us will celebrate future releases and updates everything works like a charm as it is now, there is no hurry at all. Otherwise just the idea of M$ taking such a great piece of free soft really depress me, I hope that never happen. My infinite thanks to void for this amazing program, best wishes and kind regards.
SafetyCar

Post by SafetyCar »

I think the problem is that we haven't any release, in my opinion an at least three-monthly snapshot of the program would calm us down, even if it's full of bugs ;)
cacamama

Post by cacamama »

BDraft wrote:I'm totally agree with vegas, although all of us will celebrate future releases and updates everything works like a charm as it is now, there is no hurry at all. Otherwise just the idea of M$ taking such a great piece of free soft really depress me, I hope that never happen. My infinite thanks to void for this amazing program, best wishes and kind regards.
vegas wrote:Attitudes like yours (cacamama) only slow developers down that are working on volunteer projects. They don't want to be rushed on these undertakings. Take your time, we all look forward to whatever YOU do with the project, NOT a Microsoft. The majority of us, I would have to say, do NOT feel the way cacamama does. Thanks for everything you have done void and anything you MAY choose to release in the future. Have a great weekend. Dave
You don't know anything about Sysinternals do you? Many great apps are now being distributed by Microsoft, Mark Russ..s,dfks whatever his name is, is developing them. Microsoft is not an inept company made of pure evil. Sure, they're assholes, but they do a decent enough job that we ALL (at least all of us who post in this thread) use Windows.

I haven't had ANY problems with "Everything". That's great. And for me, it's feature complete (except maybe metadata indexing, which is not essential). It still has shortcomings though. To name a few, it only works with admin privileges which is not secure. It provides access to any file on the machine, regardless of the current user's rights. Not a great deal for many of us, but a shortcoming nonetheless. It's not multi-user friendly. At this rate, no progress will be made. If the source is released or if other developers join the project, it could roll on.
therube

Post by therube »

And that has what to do about what?

There is only what is. David does what he does, when he does it. Until you are I can do better, we live with that or do without. You want to see things happen quicker. You've offered suggestions. If they're acted upon or not only time may tell. No need to keep harping on it.

There certainly have been other good projects that have fallen by the wayside. People change, priorities change. Be thankful for what you have been given to this point.
cacamama

Post by cacamama »

A fitting nickname you've got there. I'm not "harping" on it. Read the replies to my post. I'm not the one going "OMG MICROSOFT IS ASSHOLE ME NO WANT MICROSHIT ACQUIRE EVERYTHING". I've expressed my gratitude for "Everything" time and again on these forums.

There is only what is. David does what he does, when he does it. Until you are I can do better, we live with that or do without. You want to see things happen quicker. You've offered suggestions. If they're acted upon or not only time may tell. No need to keep harping on it.
A master of the obvious you are. Things will be done when they're done. I OBVIOUSLY CAN TELL.
Besides, how is my offering suggestions , an act you've recognized, harping?
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be a dick, but it's been ages since the last build came out. Not that I have any gripes with .451a, I haven't encountered any bugs, and the core functionality is there, but it'd love to see it improved.
I remember you expressing your reluctance about releasing the source. I don't blame you, but it actually could speed up/revive development.
You could sell "Everything", but I doubt it'd bring in serious money.
I haven't even pushed any suggestions on anyone, I just put stuff out there. I'm not even defending those options. How is that harping?
Attitudes like yours (cacamama) only slow developers down that are working on volunteer projects.
I haven't attacked anyone unlike "vegas". I even contributed by writing scripts that used add minor functionality to "Everything" (look them up, I've written 2-3 scripts). How's that slowing the developer down? Read the posts I've quoted, I'm not even supporting the ideas, just putting them out there, discussing them. As you may have noticed, this board hasn't been that active anyway.

The idea with MS adopting 3rd party software is that it's easier for the developer to get support from MS and to have access to certain details. It also ensures that (to a degree) said software is complete or stable , since it's going to be presented to the world as an MS offering.
There certainly have been other good projects that have fallen by the wayside. People change, priorities change.
I know. I stated more than once that releasing the source may not ensure the advancement of "Everything". I am not being a smartass or telling anyone how to do things.
Be thankful for what you have been given to this point.
I AM THANKFUL. My mouth has run dry praising "Everything", about how I've encountered no bugs despite it being alpha software, about how "it's fine the way it is".
BDraft

Post by BDraft »

Dude you seems to be the only one that is on a hurry here, quoting everyone and jumping for M$ when nobody said nothing against them but just express our wishes that the project remains in David's hands and not in a corp, it's just an opinion. Otherwise I've no problem in wait weeks or months until a new version, the world will not end and hopefully we'll see many updates and improvements in Everything in a near future, if you can't deal with that or anxiety overcomes you take a valium.
therube

Post by therube »

OK, chill everyone.

Thread's locked. I'll unlock it in a few days :).
(Never locked one before. Suppose I'll be able to unlock it.)
JasonBunting

Post by JasonBunting »

This is not an attempt to feed the troll, but I did want to say the following, for the sake of everyone else here.

This lovely exchange reminds me of an experience 4 years ago, when what was originally just a small project of my own, became used by a handful of people... I would get emails from people practically demanding updates to something. The 'project' was essentially a collection of CodeSmith.NET code generation templates that were open source by virtue of their very nature (i.e. they were text files), yet people wanted me to meet some contrived time-based expectations for completing features I only hoped to get done.

First off, I love the utterly passive-aggressive statement by our friend here:
That's gotta be a classic! I mean, it just drips with love! How can one not feel the appreciation this person has for the project? You'd have to be taking crazy pills!

Oh, and who can forget the subtle-but-not-so-subtle conclusion to his first attempt at defending his attack:
I'd still greatly appreciate it if you could somehow "speed things up"
Another one for the scrapbook! I mean, no pressure or anything, just "speed things up," okay? He sounds as though he contributed a large sum of cash to the project and now feels entitled to make demands on your time. Holy crap!

Anyway, just wanted to stop by to thank you for the awesome application, I love the speed of this tool; while there are a lot of things I would love to see it do, I can completely respect the fact that life gets in the way at times. I have many projects laying around that I intend to come back to, but just never get the time to do it. At least your tool is already useful, unlike the loads of half-baked stuff I have created!

Thanks again!
Pickaxe

Post by Pickaxe »

I just wanted to drop by and mention that this is one of the more useful freeware projects I have ever had the pleasure of stumbling upon. Extremely fast, very flexible, lightweight. Wonderful.

Over the past 2 years I've been using it frequently. It's a huge time saver and the sheer speed of it still catches me by surprise sometimes (gotta love that USN Journal). Thank you for making this great piece of software.
Cruzer

Post by Cruzer »

cacamama wrote:451a appears to be the latest beta. I wish David would update it already, the anticipation is killing me!

no,452a is the latest beta,the link is http://www.voidtools.com/Everything-1.2.1.452a.zip

:lol:
therube

Post by therube »

There was one change in 452a (that I am aware) & that change was inconsequential for all intents & purposes.
Only there to test one situation that had come up. (What is was escapes me.)
Since Void rarely mentioned it & continually mentions 451a, 451a is what I would stick with as the most recent alpha & so what testers should use.
jsday187

Post by jsday187 »

cacamama wrote:I presume the project is dead...
Quit trolling. Read the previous posts before you reply to a thread. He already answered the question twice in the last 10 posts.
geniuspaus

Post by geniuspaus »

BOSS, please release this "Everything" version 1.2.1.451a official version already so that Windows 7 UAC wouldn't bug the user for running it from the taskbar.
masterbrowser

Post by masterbrowser »

Hi Void,

Thank you for a wonderful tool. Great work, really!!! It is getting better with every update. :-)

Is Everything-1.2.1.452a capable of searching the database offline (with external USB HD disconnected)?

If so, how do I enable this?

If not, when (timewise) do you think this will be available? I (and many others) would really like this option to be available.

Thanks once again.

Cheers,

Masterbrowser
Last edited by masterbrowser on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

I believe this is what you'll want, 389b.
masterbrowser

Post by masterbrowser »

therube wrote:I believe this is what you'll want, 389b.
Hi therube,

Thanks for your reply.

I have it running now. Too bad it does not offer the Filters option of the later versions as I am using them a lot. But this is a good start.

It is still a bit tricky though, because when I disconnect one of my USB HD's when Everything 389b is running, it WILL update the database (or at least the drive is removed from the (search)view). This makes it less useful for day-to-day use.

Hopefully Void will be able to find the time to make a new version (incl. offline searching) available in the near future. Than it would be near perfect for my needs.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Masterbrowser
Stubi

Post by Stubi »

Perhaps Everything does not fulfill all the things one can imagine but without it...I do not want to imagine what I would miss. For me it is almost perfect.

I worked long time in one of the biggest software companies. The software there was only almost perfect too. And there were thousands of customers with ideas. All of them important. But you cannot make them all happy. For this software worked thousands of people and the company made endless money. Everything is for free - for us - not for the developer. He has to spend a lot of his time and for sure even some money to provide it to us. And it is a great idea that does a great job.

Perhaps the project is dead. But even if so Everything will live on my computer as long as the OS version will allow it - that is for sure. An other freeware I have like this is Type & Run. The project is dead so long already but not so the software. You can call up things with aliases. There are others but for me this is still the best. If you want to check it out here is the link:

http://www.galanc.com/binary/tar_4b11.zip
therube

Post by therube »

Had no idea what this t&r was, & rather then just providing a link to "some" download ...

Link with a description & pictures: Softpedia: TypeAndRun 4.7 Beta 6 (though I assume the above link provides a more recent version?)

Link to the t&r "website", as little as there may be: http://galanc.com/
Stubi

Post by Stubi »

The description at Softpedia is wrong. It is not about hotkeys but about aliases. So you can call up a small entry field (this with a hotkey) and type for instance "homework". And you get the things opened you connected to this alias - folders, files, applications, URLs. You can do this for instance with news and internet - define news as alias or whatever you want and connect internet sites to this alias. When you type "news" those sites will be opened. You can open more then one thing with one alias. Just use for instance the alias "news" several times with different things.

But check out the latest version from the link I told you before if you want to try it- it is Beta 11. The link is hard to see on the site. Just move the cursor at http://galanc.com/ to TypeAndRun v4b11 and click it. The site does not look good since the project is dead. But the software is still great and works with Win 95, Win 98, XP, Win 7 32 and 64 and hopefully with Win 8 if they will call it like this ;) Hope Everything will handle Win 8 too otherwise I will have to stick to Win 7 :D .
Pickaxe

Post by Pickaxe »

That sounds like a less-developed, less-supported FARR (Find and Run Robot). You might want to try that, it's fantastic as far as keyboard launchers go.

But honestly, Everything is the best keyboard launcher ever, and I've probably tried ~90% of Windows keyboard launchers.
jsday187

Post by jsday187 »

Thanks a TON!!! I had never heard of FARR before. It even has an Everything plug-in. Genius. Thanks again!!!

I guess I should share some indispensable tools that you may or may have not tried...
It's called QTTabbar.
The new working version can be found at sourceforge, but replacement icon and tab images can be found at it's old wikidot page.

Also checkout: IconViewer at botproductions, RegEditX at DCSoftware Classic Shell at sourceforge, HashCheck at kliu's page, StexBar, grepWin and StexTimeStamps at Stefan's Tools and FilerFrog.

Far Manager2, Sysinternals and WinMerge+xdocdiff plug-in are also musthaves.
Unlocker by cedric is now working with win7 64, although you can do the same with ProcessExplorer by sysinternals. Unlocker has context menu option though.
Anti-Freeze from Resplendence has came in handy alot. If anyone knows a similar more powerful alternative please share.
NirLauncher is also great.
You might find ExplorerSuite from NTCore useful too.
Universal Extractor and 7-Zip together can unzip/extract 90% of files/installers/whatevers.
CleanMem is the best memory freer I know of. Doesn't intrude into process like most other similar tools.
WhyReboot by Exodus, though older can still tell you, somewhat, changes being made when programs request a reboot

If anyone knows of any more of these types of tools/shellExtensions/addons/utilities PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Enlighten us/me.

Sorry I know this isn't really the place to in the forum to discuss this topic but, since we were already in the vein...

Thanks again!
rpsgc

Post by rpsgc »

@void

Do you think someday you'll be able to implement some SSD tweaks to Everything? To make it more SSD friendly? (Less wear on SSD)
Pickaxe

Post by Pickaxe »

jsday, thanks for the list. There's some pretty ancient stuff in there that I'd likely would never have found nowadays.

Since I'm a fan of Windows 7's Jumplists (it's a really great feature that is unfortunately ignored by developers due to being exclusive to Win7/requiring some creativity), I use Jumplist-Launcher which allows making a custom Stacks-like Jumplists and Jumplist Extender which is still very much in early development, but allows creation of custom Jumplists for any program (that doesn't repeatedly change its own Jumplist). It allows launching AutoHotKey scripts as tasks, so it can pretty much do whatever you want. Especially if you are OCD, heh)

Also, in no particular order (and most of it is not quite what you're looking for but is somewhat obscure): AltDrag, WizMouse, VistaSwitcher, Dexpot, Fastcopy, SpeedCrunch, tabbyCalc, Autoruns, Flying Windows (tiny footprint but not as good as AltDrag+WizMouse), SharpKeys, Ghoster, LeaveMeAlone!, WriteMonkey, 7 Taskbar Tweaker, Start Killer, ManicTime, Sandboxie, Circle Dock, Hstart, alttabtuner