2021 Can folder sizes be sorted like or with file sizes?

General discussion related to "Everything".
rm_669

2021 Can folder sizes be sorted like or with file sizes?

Post by rm_669 »

Hi,
My goal is to have a search results list that when sorted by 'size' will sort files AND folders together. Currently, folders are always sorted separately at the bottom of the results list.

Sorry for This repeat question which is asked several years ago, I came back here today and hope to see this on everything but sadly it is not here yet, I still using Instant File Founder till this date only because they have this option built-in. I really request you guys please consider this and add this option into Everything.

Original Question Source: viewtopic.php?t=7091
void
Developer

Re: 2021 Can folder sizes be sorted like or with file sizes?

Post by void »

Thank you for your post.

Mixing folder and file sizes is a tricky one to do efficiently..

I have a feature in development called 'Index folders as files' which allows you to efficiently mix results for all sorts, except Size..

I have on my TODO list to add a 'Mix folder and file results together' option. However, this may take a second or two for 1million+ items.
JaegerFox

Post by JaegerFox »

I also want this feature...
At least I am satisfied with an option to show the folders first ... it is somewhat difficult to go through thousands of files to get to the folders (although there is the option to show only folders)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

JaegerFox wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 am although there is the option to show only folders
There are even several options :)
- You enable the Folder filter (Menu:Search > Folder)
- When you enabled the Filters bar (Menu:View > Filters), you can select Folder from the dropdown list.
- add
folder:
to your search query
- Sort by Runcount. That way your favourites are on top, directly followed by the folders
- Sort by path will put your folders on top (or bottom) of the list, Sort by name too.
- The ones I forgot to mention, but the good people here certainly will remind me of :)
JaegerFox

Post by JaegerFox »

There are even several options :)
- You enable the Folder filter (Menu:Search > Folder)
- When you enabled the Filters bar (Menu:View > Filters), you can select Folder from the dropdown list.
- add
folder:
to your search query
- Sort by Runcount. That way your favourites are on top, directly followed by the folders
- Sort by path will put your folders on top (or bottom) of the list, Sort by name too.
- The ones I forgot to mention, but the good people here certainly will remind me of :)
precisely if I said "although there is already an option to see only folders" it is because I know the existence of those filters ... I just want to alternate the order of the folders in any "sort by"
but thanks... :D
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

OK, then I misunderstood ...
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

I don't see how this can be useful and done properly as folders with the recursion, there are tons of freeware tools that provide folder size and allow sorting them and exploring the tree... so it could bloat everything for something that is hardly justifiable.

https://alternativeto.net/software/treesize/
void
Developer

Post by void »

An option to "Mix files and folders" together is in development.

If you would like to try this now, please try the Everything 1.5 Alpha.

Mix files and folders.

A treeview is also in development.