Disable Indexing at Start!

General discussion related to "Everything".
ten10

Disable Indexing at Start!

Post by ten10 »

Hi forum :)

How can I disable file and folder listing at "Everything" start? When I do a right click and select "Everything" (within a folder) it indexing everything without typing anything (it takes time to load)! I want to disable it (auto listing).

Is there any option to enable "Everything" listing as I typing?
froggie

Re: Disable Indexing at Start!

Post by froggie »

Does
tools==>options==>general==>results==>Hide results when the search is empty
do what you want?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

(I hope I understand what you want..)

When you start Everything, it will process all changes to your disks since you used it the last time. That can take a little time.

You can prevent that by running Everything in the background, so it will pick up all changes as they happen (that takes very little resources, so your system will not suffer from that).

To enable this:
- Enable Start Everything on system startup (menu:Tools > Options > General )
- Enable Run in background (menu:Tools > Options > UI )
ten10

Post by ten10 »

Thanks @froggie :)
This option is enabled (it didn't work).

Thanks @NotNull :)
I use "everything" portable on various devices and I don't want to use the installer version and add it to "Windows" startup and run it in background as an extra process!

I Just want to disable listing the directory at "Everything" start, and enable it search directory as I type not automatically indexing and listing at start.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

ten10 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:14 am Thanks @froggie :)
This option is enabled (it didn't work).

Thanks @NotNull :)
I use "everything" portable on various devices and I don't want to use the installer version and add it to "Windows" startup and run it in background as an extra process!

I Just want to disable listing the directory at "Everything" start, and enable it search directory as I type not automatically indexing and listing at start.
Disable NTFS indexing and also remove the Automatically options there.
Then configure Folder indexing with Manual start.
ten10

Post by ten10 »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:13 pm Disable NTFS indexing and also remove the Automatically options there.
Could it possible to say exact name of the options you mentioned above? (Under Tools>Indexes>NTFS, there is not such options)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

ten10 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:10 pm
horst.epp wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:13 pm Disable NTFS indexing and also remove the Automatically options there.
Could it possible to say exact name of the options you mentioned above? (Under Tools>Indexes>NTFS, there is not such options)
I don't know what Everything version youi have but on my version 1.4.1.1003 (x64)
the first 2 entries (on top) under Tools>Indexes>NTFS are named:
[] Automatically include new fixed volumes
[] Automatically include new removable volumes
Screenshot - 06.01.2021 , 18_39_51.png
Screenshot - 06.01.2021 , 18_39_51.png (22.6 KiB) Viewed 14451 times
ten10

Post by ten10 »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:46 pm I don't know what Everything version youi have but on my version 1.4.1.1003 (x64)
My "Everything" portable version number is "1.4.1.965 - Win x64"
I have unchecked both of them ("no.1", 2 first options in SS below). If I uncheck the "no.2" ("Include in database" option, SS below), "Everything" search won't work!
It didn't work, "Everything auto listing at start is active again!
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

ten10 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:21 pm
horst.epp wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:46 pm I don't know what Everything version youi have but on my version 1.4.1.1003 (x64)
My "Everything" portable version number is "1.4.1.965 - Win x64"
I have unchecked both of them ("no.1", 2 first options in SS below). If I uncheck the "no.2" ("Include in database" option, SS below), "Everything" search won't work!
It didn't work, "Everything auto listing at start is active again!
You should disable the current drives and add folder indexing as I said.
Then indexing would only happen after you start a manual folder indexing of course.
ten10

Post by ten10 »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:33 pm You should disable the current drives and add folder indexing as I said.
Then indexing would only happen after you start a manual folder indexing of course.
As I realized, I have to remove all drives from "Local NTFS volumes" section and uncheck 2 first options (Automatically include fixed and removable volumes, to prevent "Everything" auto add drives to index) in "NTFS" section. Then I have to add custom folders to indexing (Option>Indexes>Folders)?

But when I select every drive to remove, the "Remove" button is greyed out! (Option>Indexes>NTFS>Local NTFS volumes). I ran "Everything" as "Admin" too but nothing.

I just want to disable startup files and folders listing! :shock: What a complicated process!! :roll: I don't want to specify custom folder to indexing!

Is that possible to add an option (in the next "Everything" update) that disable auto listing at startup and just index and search as user typing the keyword and hit "Enter" button? :?:
froggie

Post by froggie »

Are you just trying to have a blank result screen when you start Everything until you start typing

or are you trying to have Everything not build its internal list of files?
ten10

Post by ten10 »

froggie wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:45 pm Are you just trying to have a blank result screen when you start Everything until you start typing?
Yes. I have "Hide results when the search is empty" option checked (Option>Results).
froggie wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:45 pm Are you trying to have Everything not build its internal list of files?
I don't know what exactly it means (I am not a geek and I use "Everything" because it's super fast like thunder and is portable and top of all is more better than rubbish "Windows Search", I have disabled "Windows Search" service).

I just want "Everything" to be empty at startup and search the folder (or drive...) as I typing and hitting the "Enter" (not list all content of folder or drive automatically when it starts).
froggie

Post by froggie »

You are starting Everything from the right-click menu.

When you do this, Everything puts the folder you click on in the search box and proceeds to display all of the files in that folder

As you add additional terms in the search box Everything will AND those terms with the initial folder and display only those files that match all of the terms.

If you want to start with a blank screen you have to start Everything another way - from a desktop shortcut or the quick launch shortcut for example.
ten10

Post by ten10 »

froggie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:55 am You are starting Everything from the right-click menu.
When you do this, Everything puts the folder you click on in the search box and proceeds to display all of the files in that folder
Many thanks :) I didn't know that!
froggie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:55 am If you want to start with a blank screen you have to start Everything another way - from a desktop shortcut or the quick launch shortcut for example.
Conclusion: There is no way to prevent auto indexing (listing) folder content at startup (by click on "Everything" in right click) :oops: