Windows Indexservice needed for Everything

General discussion related to "Everything".
Lichtfaenger

Windows Indexservice needed for Everything

Post by Lichtfaenger »

A friendly hello to the group!

I am a new user of the program in version 1.4.1.992 in the x64 variant.

Does the program need the Windows 10 service in any way? I have turned it off / deactivated it and have the "felt" impression that the program now needs some time to think about it before it displays results.

When I still had the Windows 10 index service active, the display of results was really lightning fast!

Thanks a lot!

Friendly greetings from Germany,
Lichtfaenger (Lightcatcher)
horst.epp

Re: Windows Indexservice needed for Everything

Post by horst.epp »

Lichtfaenger wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:00 pm A friendly hello to the group!

I am a new user of the program in version 1.4.1.992 in the x64 variant.

Does the program need the Windows 10 service in any way? I have turned it off / deactivated it and have the "felt" impression that the program now needs some time to think about it before it displays results.

When I still had the Windows 10 index service active, the display of results was really lightning fast!

Thanks a lot!

Friendly greetings from Germany,
Lichtfaenger (Lightcatcher)
The Everything indexing is in no way related to Windows indexing.
For NTFS volumes it reads the MFT directly and this has nothing to do with Windows indexing at all.
Lichtfaenger

Post by Lichtfaenger »

I had thought so, too. My impression is that the program displayed results much faster. But in the meantime I use the toolbar of Everything. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Thank you very much for the very fast reply/answer.

Regards,
Lichtfaenger
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Lichtfaenger wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:53 pm I had thought so, too. My impression is that the program displayed results much faster. But in the meantime I use the toolbar of Everything. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Thank you very much for the very fast reply/answer.

Regards,
Lichtfaenger
I also use the toolbar and this indroduces some delay compared to the Everything GUI.
But again, this i not related to the Windowx indexing.
Lichtfaenger

Post by Lichtfaenger »

I installed the program first - without the toolbar - and was very pleased with the speed. Very. But the GUI - without the toolbar - is a bit "bulky". For me. :-)
Now when I heard about the toolbar, I installed it. Hence my question.

But good to know that the toolbar is to blame for the small "delay". Maybe the developer of the toolbar is still fixing it. By the way, I have a old system without SSD! :(
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Lichtfaenger wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:14 pm But good to know that the toolbar is to blame for the small "delay". Maybe the developer of the toolbar is still fixing it. By the way,
It is not the fault of the developer of the toolbar. It is a Windows limitation:
Everything sends a list of filenames to the toolbar and the methods that Windows provides for this are not very fast.
They are not very slow either, but once you are 'spoiled' by the speed of Everything, evrything else seems slow :)