Are there modifiers which limits (both exclude and only) a storage class such as "File Lists"

General discussion related to "Everything".
jackpots

Are there modifiers which limits (both exclude and only) a storage class such as "File Lists"

Post by jackpots »

Often when I search, I get a list of files/dirs that are local on NTFS drives, disconnected NTFS and others drives, indexed folders and filelists of (30+) archives.
Some filelists are of archives which were made on optical media that share drive letters with another currently attach media.

Often I would like to limit the list to NTFS drives only, exclude filelists or only filelists.
Is there any way to get that result?

If not, may I suggest a "class:" filter that accepts N for NTFS attached, L for Lists, F for folders, R for ReFS, and A for Accessible (on last polling).

Thanks.
void
Developer

Re: Are there modifiers which limits (both exclude and only) a storage class such as "File Lists"

Post by void »

To include results from filelists, please include the following in your search:

filelistfilename:.

To exclude results from filelists, please include the following in your search:

!filelistfilename:.

Please consider making a filter if you use these searches often:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to: Filelists Only
  • Change the Search to: filelistfilename:.
  • Click OK.
  • From the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to: No Filelists
  • Change the Search to: !filelistfilename:.
  • Click OK.
Filters can be activated from the Search menu, Filter bar (View -> Filters), right clicking the status bar, filter macro or filter keyboard shortcut.
jackpots

Re: Are there modifiers which limits (both exclude and only) a storage class such as "File Lists"

Post by jackpots »

Thank you.

Are there such limiters for indexes of "folders?" I do not want to turn them off, just control seeing them.

(Microsoft should consider buying you and the software as they did with SystemInternals. And you should consider selling. Everyone should benefit from Everything and Everything should be default.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback.

To limit your results to folders only, please include the following in your search:
folder:

To limit your results to files only, please include the following in your search:
file:
jackpots

Post by jackpots »

I think I was ambiguous. I did not mean folders as in directories.

I meant indexes of "Folders" as in Options > Indexes > Folders as a class/group. This opposed to indexes of NTFS, and ReFS drives and FileLists.
On my system, drive letters change at Microsoft's will and very often (except for the boot disk)—much different from my experience in older versions of Windows.