How the #*$@ is everything so fast?

General discussion related to "Everything".
silversword

How the #*$@ is everything so fast?

Post by silversword »

It takes longer for windows explorer to do a properties on a folder with 5000 items than everything takes to fully index whole drives of 500000+ items.

How in the everloving @#$* is this software so fast when windows can't do even tell me properties on a folder?

Is this witchcraft?
Do I need to call the priest for an excorcism?
Should I lay a circle of salt around my computer for protection while I sleep?

Curious George wants to know ;)
ovg

Re: How the #*$@ is everything so fast?

Post by ovg »

You have forgotten the garlic also :mrgreen:
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

The official statement is:
Everything scans the MFT directly, which limits Everything to NTFS volumes only.

Everything makes a very light copy of this mft and keeps it in memory, using the USN Change journal to monitor changes.

Searches are compiled into byte code and executed.
(source)

But I am pretty sure it is because Everything runs on extremely powerful batteries, based on alien technology ...
silversword

Post by silversword »

NotNull wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:19 pm The official statement is:
Everything scans the MFT directly, which limits Everything to NTFS volumes only.
(source)

But I am pretty sure it is because Everything runs on extremely powerful batteries, based on alien technology ...
Wow, sure would be nice if some Microsoft Developers had enough brains and skills to put Everything's techniques into explorer and Windows search and actually make Windows better, the layers of cruft that have been put into windows (7's file copy was so much faster than 10's etc).

In the mean time, thank you Alien batteries :)
Siress

Post by Siress »

Preface: I don't actually know.

One thing that's apparent to me is that Everything performs indexing (the part that takes a while...) on startup/schedule while the File Explorer search seems to only index the files when you initiate a query. The way Everything does it is great for getting quick results to queries, but has the drawback of returning outdated results and indexing the entire domain before it's usable. Since you can schedule the rescans with Everything, I don't even see a practical drawback with it to be honest.