Disable update

General discussion related to "Everything".
Stretto

Disable update

Post by Stretto » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:18 am

Every time I start I everything takes a little while to load. It usually says updating. I don't really need it to update the database. I assume it is scanning the drives for changes. I thought I saw in the options how to disable updates but I can't find it. I don't want it to scan for updates except rarely because I have 10M+ files over 10TB of drives and it's just too slow and not necessary. Most of the changes made are irrelevant for my usage of everything. Any way to fix this?

void
Site Admin

Re: Disable update

Post by void » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:37 am

Updating in the background is in development.

If your drives are all NTFS, consider disabling the Everything database and reindexing your NTFS volumes on startup:
A complete reindex of NTFS volumes can often be faster than attempting to update the existing database.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Start Everything on system startup.
  • Click OK.
Launch Everything with the -nodb command line option:
Everything.exe -nodb

To start Everything on system startup, consider placing a shortcut to launch Everything.exe -nodb in the special shell:startup folder

This will perform a fresh re-index of all your drives when Everything is launched.
This fresh re-index will likely be quicker for you than attempting to update the existing database.

Alternatively, please try folder indexing instead of NTFS indexing.
Folder indexing will always update in the background.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • For each NTFS volume in the list:
    • Uncheck Include in database.
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select your NTFS volume and click Open.
  • Repeat for additional NTFS volumes.
  • Click OK.
The initial scan will be slow. Once the initial scan is complete, the next time you launch Everything you should see your results instantly.

Stretto

Post by Stretto » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:18 pm

I really don't want it to update at all except when I trigger it. I want to completely disable updating except when I force it manually.

horst.epp

Post by horst.epp » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:06 pm

Stretto wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:18 pm
I really don't want it to update at all except when I trigger it. I want to completely disable updating except when I force it manually.
Disable all NTFS indexing and set folder indexing.

Stretto

Post by Stretto » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:07 am

I switched everything over to use folders. I had to exclude 20 drives manually and I'll have to exclude more when I bring them online but I guess it's better than nothing.

Stretto

Post by Stretto » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:27 am

void wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:37 am
Updating in the background is in development.

So I disabled the database compression and moved the database to a ramdisk and it loads in about 1 second, before it was 5-10(compressed on the ramdisk, otherwise about 30 seconds or even longer). The tooltip says that compressing the database would load it after but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So now, by disabling update(using folders instead of disks and disabling all the indexing stuff) and using a ramdisk I get almost instant access.