Disable update

General discussion related to "Everything".
Stretto

Disable update

Post by Stretto »

Every time I start I everything takes a little while to load. It usually says updating. I don't really need it to update the database. I assume it is scanning the drives for changes. I thought I saw in the options how to disable updates but I can't find it. I don't want it to scan for updates except rarely because I have 10M+ files over 10TB of drives and it's just too slow and not necessary. Most of the changes made are irrelevant for my usage of everything. Any way to fix this?
void
Developer

Re: Disable update

Post by void »

Updating in the background is in development.

If your drives are all NTFS, consider disabling the Everything database and reindexing your NTFS volumes on startup:
A complete reindex of NTFS volumes can often be faster than attempting to update the existing database.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Start Everything on system startup.
  • Click OK.
Launch Everything with the -nodb command line option:
Everything.exe -nodb

To start Everything on system startup, consider placing a shortcut to launch Everything.exe -nodb in the special shell:startup folder

This will perform a fresh re-index of all your drives when Everything is launched.
This fresh re-index will likely be quicker for you than attempting to update the existing database.

Alternatively, please try folder indexing instead of NTFS indexing.
Folder indexing will always update in the background.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • For each NTFS volume in the list:
    • Uncheck Include in database.
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select your NTFS volume and click Open.
  • Repeat for additional NTFS volumes.
  • Click OK.
The initial scan will be slow. Once the initial scan is complete, the next time you launch Everything you should see your results instantly.
Stretto

Post by Stretto »

I really don't want it to update at all except when I trigger it. I want to completely disable updating except when I force it manually.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Stretto wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:18 pm I really don't want it to update at all except when I trigger it. I want to completely disable updating except when I force it manually.
Disable all NTFS indexing and set folder indexing.
Stretto

Post by Stretto »

I switched everything over to use folders. I had to exclude 20 drives manually and I'll have to exclude more when I bring them online but I guess it's better than nothing.
Stretto

Post by Stretto »

void wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:37 am Updating in the background is in development.

So I disabled the database compression and moved the database to a ramdisk and it loads in about 1 second, before it was 5-10(compressed on the ramdisk, otherwise about 30 seconds or even longer). The tooltip says that compressing the database would load it after but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So now, by disabling update(using folders instead of disks and disabling all the indexing stuff) and using a ramdisk I get almost instant access.
hellno

Post by hellno »

void wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:37 am
Alternatively, please try folder indexing instead of NTFS indexing.
Folder indexing will always update in the background.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • For each NTFS volume in the list:
    • Uncheck Include in database.
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select your NTFS volume and click Open.
  • Repeat for additional NTFS volumes.
  • Click OK.
The initial scan will be slow. Once the initial scan is complete, the next time you launch Everything you should see your results instantly.
Just wanted to share my experience. I was also getting slightly impatient with Everything always updating the database upon the first startup. I decided to try the suggestion of switching to folder indexing but that has its own annoyances as well. With NTFS indexing it would take about 10-12 secs. on first startup until I could begin searching. But after that initial startup if I closed Everything and open it again it would let me search almost instantly.

With folder indexing, on every startup it still shows the updating database but I only have to wait about 2 secs before I can begin searching. Not that bad. BUT, if I close Everything I have to wait about 10 secs. before I can re-open it again. If I try to re-open it immediately after closing I get the busy cursor like it's opening but nothing happens. I find this to be more annoying than waiting 10 secs on the first startup with NTFS indexing. I would rather get the 10 secs. over with and then have it be instantly useable everytime I open Everything and also not have to wait for it to finish closing or updating in the background or whatever it's doing.

I don't understand how to use the reindexing the NTFS volumes on startup suggestion. Nothing is searchable.
Last edited by hellno on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the feedback hellno,

Progress is being made with Everything 1.5 and background updating.
hellno

Post by hellno »

great thx for the continued updates
hellno

Post by hellno »

Apparently the closing and opening pause happens when using NTFS indexing too. Still I prefer to use NTFS instead of folder indexing.

Also after I booted up my pc just now and opened Everything there was no 10 sec. loading database waiting. It was almost instant. I don't know what happened. Maybe tinkering with the settings did something? Or updating to the latest version before tinkering? Idk but that makes me happy heh.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Some other options:
  • When you enable Start Everything on system startup (menu:Tools > Options > General) and Run in background (Options > UI), Everything will keep running in the background and process it's updates.
    That way it is always ready when you start it
  • As @void suggested: install Everything 1.5. The update mechanism is entirely redesigned and that makes a world of difference, meaning that it is instantly available for searches.