Search while indexing/scanning

General discussion related to "Everything".
LifeH2O

Search while indexing/scanning

Post by LifeH2O »

Is it possible to start searching while its still indexing Folders (which include network shared folders)?

I have added a bunch of network shared folders. In status bar, i saw it scanning my local drives first and then it moved on to index network folders.
As those shared folders are on network which is pretty slow, I was hoping for a way to be able to search in my local drive while it completes indexing the network shares.
void
Developer

Re: Search while indexing/scanning

Post by void »

Is it possible to start searching while its still indexing Folders (which include network shared folders)?
Searching while updating is in development.

For now, please consider folder indexing instead of NTFS indexing.

Normally Everything will default to NTFS indexing as it is faster and does not miss changes.
Everything will like to keep your NTFS indexes up to date before showing any results which can take several minutes.

Folder indexing is another option that allows you to index any file-system folder.
Folder indexing is much slower and can miss changes, so you will need to schedule rescans periodically (daily is the default)
Folder rescanning is done in the background, allowing you to search while the database is updated.

Please try:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • For each NTFS volume in the list:
    • Uncheck Include in database.
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select your NTFS volume and click Open.
  • Repeat for additional NTFS volumes
  • Click OK.
The initial scan will be slow. Once the initial scan is complete, the next time you launch Everything you should see your results instantly.
Currently, there is no command line option to rescan all folders now.
Everything will rescan your folder indexes daily at 3am, if you computer is not on at 3am, the rescan will occur the next time you run Everything.

You can configure how often Everything rescans your folder indexes from Tools -> Options -> Folders.

To force Everything to rescan your folders, do one of the following:
  • Launch Everything after 3am.
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER: /update
  • Click Tools -> Options -> Folders -> Rescan All Now.
LifeH2O

Re: Search while indexing/scanning

Post by LifeH2O »

Thanks for the update. It would be great when this feature comes out.

I didn't know that to make folder search really work I have to "Uncheck Include in database". For now, when I add network folders from folders tab, then press apply/ok, it completely halts for the first time. Then I force close it, restart, it rescans NTFS and moves on to network scanning.

Anyway, I cannot sacrifice instant drive search for now to get network folders working, but thanks for suggesting how to do it. :)