To run a nightly build... stop/start service

General discussion related to "Everything".
raccoon

To run a nightly build... stop/start service

Post by raccoon »

To run a nightly build:
  • Completely exit Everything (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit).
  • From the Start menu, type in:
    services.msc
  • Right click Services and click Run as administrator.
  • Right click Everything and click Stop Service.
  • Overwrite your existing Everything.exe with one of the zipped Everything.exe below.
  • In Services, Right click Everything and click Start Service.
  • Run Everything.exe
Wouldn't it be possible to store the LastRunVersion in everything.ini and detect if the current exe version has changed, and if so, instruct Everything to stop / restart the Service itself, rebuild the database, etc as it deems necessary? I just find the whole process surprisingly extraneous given that Everything handles all of this on its own upon first time use.

A quick glance at everything.ini tells me that "1.4.1" could not be found, suggesting that Everything doesn't attempt to remember which version was last running.
void
Developer

Re: To run a nightly build... stop/start service

Post by void »

I would like to keep the Everything.ini version-less.

What might be useful is when launching a new version of Everything, it can check if an older version is running and prompt the user:

An older version is running, would you like to uninstall the old version and install the new version?

Yes / No / Cancel

-Thanks for the suggestion.

Everything is designed for a single instance, a single service and a single configuration file.
Please consider using name instances. -Use the version as the instance name, for exampe:
Everything.exe -instance "984"

This will be like running a fresh install of Everything, this new instance will prompt to install another service and use a unique configuration file.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Points of clarity:

- I only run a single instance of Everything. I upgrade the Nightly builds every so often and I find the process mildly tedious.

- I don't think placing "LastRunVersion = 1.4.1.999" makes Everything.ini any less "versionless". It just helps Everything understand the world around it, and whether the Service should be stopped and restarted, or whether the database needs to be rebuilt to support new features. I'm not suggesting that this should break backwards compatibility or prohibit older versions from using the same ini file ever again. It's just good information to have on hand.
vsub

Post by vsub »

When I want to update everything I do this

1.I have bat file in the Everything folder containing this

Code: Select all

net stop Everything
pause
net start Everything
and I run it as admin
2.When I see that the service is stopped,I replace the Everything.exe and then hit enter in the cmd window and then run everything
therube

Post by therube »

When I want to update everything I do this:

1.I drop to a C: prompt

Code: Select all

Everything.exe  -uninstall-service
< copy the new Everything.exe over the old >
Everything.exe    -install-service
therube

Post by therube »

whether the Service should be stopped and restarted
I've never been clear on that, so I just do it as a matter of course. (Only takes a moment.)
or whether the database needs to be rebuilt to support new feature
I've never messed with the .db.
If I was aware of something new that was added in, that stored its' data in the the .db, I probably simply delete (or rename) the existing .db, & just fire up Everything.