Include remote network index in my local index

General discussion related to "Everything".
bsacheri

Include remote network index in my local index

Post by bsacheri »

background...
I use Everything on my local computer to index some server folders on the corporate network and I'm able to search them when I am offline (working from home). It works great.

I have a computer on a client network with a similar setup, where Everything scans that computer and a few folders on the client network. I'm able to access that network through Citrix to a remote desktop. If you understand that configuration, there is no way for my local copy of Everything to scan the client network.

My question is, is there a way to take the everything.db from the client computer, transfer it to my local computer, and append or include it with my local search index database? If I have to export or run some migration step in the middle that is ok as long as it can be automated with batch files. The ability to ftp or remotely connect is not an option. Email is my best method of transfer. I don't need the index to be updated very often and I don't mind if I have to manually send the email. I'd prefer if I don't need to swap between two .db files. I'm hoping there are some command line instructions that might support importing from an external data file, and overwriting the previous import on subsequent imports.

In the past, using the legacy Locate32 search program, I would run the companion updtdb32.exe program from a .bat file and it would build a database .dbs file on the client network. I could then transfer that file to my local computer and add the .dbs file to Locate's list of databases (because it supported searching multiple database files). This would allow me to work offline and search for the existence of files on the client network.

My local everything.db is 160 mb. I'm using Everything 1.4.1.935.
void
Developer

Re: Include remote network index in my local index

Post by void »

Please try Everything File Lists.

You can create a file list of your index at work, bring the file list home and include it in your Everything index.

To create the file list:
  • Download the Everything command line interface.
  • Run ES.exe with the -export-efu work.efu command line option.
  • Copy the work.efu to a USB disk.
  • At home, copy the work.efu from USB disk to your PC.
  • Add the file list to your Everything index (this will only need to be done once):
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the File lists tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select your work.efu on your PC and click Open.
  • Make sure Monitor changes is checked.
  • Click OK.
  • Everything will rescan your work.efu the next time it is replaced.
Alternatively, you can copy the work Everything.db and search it from home with the -db command line option:
Everything.exe -db <Everything.db> -read-only -instance work

The -read-only command line option will prevent Everything from trying to update this database.
The -instance work command line option will start a new instance of Everything, allowing you to separate your local database and work database.
Make sure you exit Everything at work before copying your Everything.db to ensure the database is flushed to disk, alternatively, call Everything.exe -update to force Everything to save the database to disk.
NotNull

Re: Include remote network index in my local index

Post by NotNull »

My advice: Make sure to check this with your IT department first as in a lot of companies this is against security policies and can get you fired.