Prevent removal of files during indexing due to disconnected Network Drive

General discussion related to "Everything".
jpantina

Prevent removal of files during indexing due to disconnected Network Drive

Post by jpantina »

I have been using Everything for a few years now on my work computer while hardwired to the internal network and it works great.

I have now been using it from home where I connect using a VPN to the network share drives, so the connection is slower and less stable. I often loss connection during my nightly re-indexing and wake up with most of my database removed. Also, the re-index is very slow even with setting /db_update_thread_priority=2.

I know if the VPN is disconnected then the share drive appears removed, thus it is removed from the DB during re-indexing, so seems like I may be without a solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent losing index files due to a disconnected share drive?
Any suggestions on making the indexing faster? (it takes hours for about 4 to 5 million objects)
void
Developer

Re: Prevent removal of files during indexing due to disconnected Network Drive

Post by void »

How are you performing the nightly re-index?

Are you forcing a rebuild? -If so, offline volumes will be removed from your index.

Try using folder indexes and schedule an update during the night. The folder index will not be removed if the folder was offline.

Some suggestions:
Try creating a file list on the server and adding this file list to your index from Tools -> Options -> File lists.
Have the Server update this file list nightly.
Try ETP. ETP allows you to search a remote index with very limited bandwidth.