Is it possible to have an inline regex rename?

General discussion related to "Everything".
TTTTII

Is it possible to have an inline regex rename?

Post by TTTTII »

If so, I'd love an example. If not, that's good to know too. I believe I've set the .ini settings properly for it to be possible...? Just can't seem to get the syntax right or find documentation or something in the forums.

I assume if it is possible that a move on rename would work as well, working along the entire path?
void
Developer

Re: Is it possible to have an inline regex rename?

Post by void »

Everything has a rename navigation feature.

When enabled, you can press Up / Down to quickly rename and move to the next/previous file to rename.

To enable rename navigation:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /rename_nav=1
  • If successful, you should see rename_nav=1 in the status bar for a few seconds.
Everything has a multi-file renamer with regex support.

To use the multi-file renamer you will need to select more than one result and press F2, or right click the results and click Rename.
Are you trying to rename a single file with regex support? For example, to find and replace text in a single filename?
Are you trying to rename multiple files?
I assume if it is possible that a move on rename would work as well, working along the entire path?
You can specify a full path to move a file.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:33 am Everything has a rename navigation feature.
Cool!! How did I miss this ...

My file manager (Q-Dir) has this feature too and it is very useful when renaming files that belong together (i.e. Everything-instance.ini and Everything-instance.db )

Related suggestion (inspired by Q-Dir behaviour):
After pressing F2 to rename a file, subsequent pressing F2 rotates between selecting the basename, the extension and the whole filename.
void
Developer

Post by void »

After pressing F2 to rename a file, subsequent pressing F2 rotates between selecting the basename, the extension and the whole filename.
Added to my TODO list.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Inline renaming will also be possible by default in future releases with the TAB key (same as Windows Explorer).