Overriding Feedback Hub to Open Everything

General discussion related to "Everything".
cementfeet

Overriding Feedback Hub to Open Everything

Post by cementfeet »

This is simple guide on how to open Everything when you hit the Win+F key (like in the good old days).

I found a few articles on this but nothing was comprehensive and people seemed to be having problems. They would edit their registries and do all sorts of stuff that was overkill.

- Download and install AutoHotkey (https://www.autohotkey.com/)
- Press Win+R to open the run dialog box and enter the command 'shell:startup'
- Create a new ahk file (AutoHotkey script). I named mine 'search-everything.ahk'
- Right click and edit the file with the following content

Code: Select all

#f::
Run, C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe
return
The path needs to be the path to the Everything executable. The path above is the default install location for 64-bit. If you installed the 32-bit version of Everything, it'll be in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Everything\Everything.exe'. I highly recommend using the 64-bit version nowadays.

- Save and close the file
- You can test the script by right clicking on the file and 'Run Script'. This will run the script and you'll be able to see a little green box with an 'H' in your taskbar. Pressing Win+F should now show Everything.
- Restarting your computer will automatically start the script (because of where you saved it). It may take a few minutes to become active after you restart, but that'll depend on how many programs you have starting on startup.

That's it, you're done!

Extra
The above script will only open Everything, but it won't allow you to toggle it (ex. pressing Win+F a second time will not hide the window). If you want to do that, you need to modify your Everything settings and change the second line of the ahk file.

- Open Everything Options and navigate to General -> Keyboard
- Pick your hotkey, for this example I'll use Win+F3
- Save the new settings
- Change the file to look like this (only the second line changed)

Code: Select all

#f::
Send, {LWin down}{F3}{LWin up}
return
- Save and close the file
- Right click on the green box with the 'H' in your taskbar
- Select 'Reload Script'

Done!
cornflakes

Re: Overriding Feedback Hub to Open Everything

Post by cornflakes »

You're the man!