How Does Voidtools, the Company Support Itself Financially?

General discussion related to "Everything".
HungerFreeze

How Does Voidtools, the Company Support Itself Financially?

Post by HungerFreeze »

I first want to apologize if this question is too personal. If it is, I'll remove the post.

With that said, I was wondering if Mr. Void could do us the courtesy of explaining how the company sustains itself? Are the donations sufficient so that he has a staff that can constantly work on and improve upon this software? Does the company make a lot of money from this program or he just works on it because he loves it?

One of the reasons I ask is that I try to be a fair guy and I was thinking of donating money. I was wondering how much. I don't have much money but I was going to donate as much as I can because I love the software and it has really increased my productivity (although I wish it had metadata search). :D

What is the ultimate goal of Mr. Void? Is he hoping that a big company like Microsoft will buy out his company? Or, is this simply a hobby he loves?

Please tell us more about yourself if it doesn't make you feel uncomfortable. I think you are providing such a great service to society.
void
Developer

Re: How Does Voidtools, the Company Support Itself Financially?

Post by void »

Thanks for your post.

Everything has been a hobby for me since 2004. I've been programming since 1996.
I started working on Everything full time in 2019.

I have unrelated part-time IT support work and contract programming work to pay for bills.
I'm a simple man and I do not need much.

Donations help with hosting, code signing, development hardware and software costs.

Everything is growing too large for me to manage on my own. Open-sourcing might help. However, I will not make a decision on this until Everything 1.5 is complete.

I would like to keep working on Everything as a hobby.
HungerFreeze

Re: How Does Voidtools, the Company Support Itself Financially?

Post by HungerFreeze »

Wow. I'm not a programmer so I really have no idea how much time it takes but it seems like it's a lot of work! I'm really jealous that you found something to do that you really enjoy. That's the best type of job!

I'll be rooting for you. And, if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask the people in this forum. I'm sure that some of them will help you if they can.