Indexing status log or Last Index Start/Completion Time

General discussion related to "Everything".
dh4

Indexing status log or Last Index Start/Completion Time

Post by dh4 »

I use Everything to index both local hard drives but more importantly network drives. The network drives are large and take considerable time to index. My laptop goes in and out of wifi all day long as I move around so it's not clear if/when the network drives have been indexed or updated. I have searched the forums and documentation but I don't see anywhere that shows the auto-indexer history. What I'm looking to find out is:
  • When did the indexer last run for a given network share?
  • Did the indexer complete?
  • How long did the indexer take to run?
Essentially I want to know if the scheduled indexer is working when does it run? Can I configure it to run over say lunch hour when I'm often at my desk? If not, how often should I manually run the indexer and how long should I plan for it to run to allow it to update each of the network shares?

For example, I have been using Locate32 previously and it has a scheduling window that shows when the indexing is kicked off:
https://www.howtoanswer.com/articles/so ... ase_16.png

Thanks
void
Developer

Re: Indexing status log or Last Index Start/Completion Time

Post by void »

When did the indexer last run for a given network share?
Did the indexer complete?
Showing this information in the Folders settings is on my TODO list.
This will also be available in a Statistics window for the next major version.
How long did the indexer take to run?
I've added this information to the Statistics window for the next major version.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Currently, Everything will will show the current rescan progress in Tools -> Options -> Folders.
The folder currently rescanning will show [rescanning] to the right of the path.
If no folders are showing [rescanning] you can assume that there are no pending rescans or missed scheduled rescans and that Everything is up-to-date.

If Everything misses a scheduled rescan (eg: if your computer was off at 3am) these scheduled rescans will perform the next time you run Everything (or if the PC was put to sleep, the rescan will occur after 1 minute of waking up).

Also see:
https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/ini/#folder_update_rescan_asap
dh4

Re: Indexing status log or Last Index Start/Completion Time

Post by dh4 »

Thanks for the response. The [Rescanning] indicator is very helpful and I have been manually timing the scans to get a sense for time of each. I'm really liking Everything (have used Locate32 and Copernic in the past). Keep up the great work. I'll keep an eye out for those features in upcoming releases.