Does Everything work with Google Drive File Stream

General discussion related to "Everything".
Bizcoach

Does Everything work with Google Drive File Stream

Post by Bizcoach »

I currently use Google drive on a windows 10 machine. Google is discontinuing the drive app and wants me to upgrade to Drive File Stream where the drive folder appears as a separate hard drive on my machine. Will that screw up Everything Search? I realize I'll have to include it and rebuild the index but will it work after that?
roger_flash

Re: Does Everything work with Google Drive File Stream

Post by roger_flash »

While Google drive works OK, I would not change anything )
Bizcoach

Post by Bizcoach »

I have no choice. They will discontinue Google drive. I can use either drive file stream or something called backup and sync.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try adding your Google Drive File Stream as a folder index:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select your Google Drive File Stream and click OK.
  • Click OK.
Bizcoach

Post by Bizcoach »

Thanks. I haven't actually installed Drive File Stream yet. I'm trying to decide whether I should install it OR use the alternative, Backup & Sync. The ability to work with Everything Search is a key part of my decision.
reelismism

Post by reelismism »

Also interested, yet OP seems to be missing that GFS is an online/network/thingy, it's a network drive, but not a Windows network drive (what's the word i'm looking for!?) and not a desktop synced solution. I.e. your files are all on GCloud and NOT your PC (as opposed to the synced older version).

FWIW it actually works surprisingly well for me, and considering how much I depend on GSuite, it's hella useful.

Is there any way to get Everything to index the virtual directory that GFS mounts?

It seems to present itself to the OS as just another drive, not a network drive, and Explorer searches work as per any directory.
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (101.39 KiB) Viewed 31659 times
I.e.
A GFS search: search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20REEL&crumb=System.Generic.String%3Aemail&crumb=location:G%3A%5CMy%20Drive%5CREEL

An Explorer search: search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20R.edit_BG%20KL&crumb=System.Generic.String%3Aseq&crumb=location:D%3A%5CR.edit_BG%20KL

Also you can create shortcuts as per files : 9-Part Email Subscriber.html.gdoc - Shortcut - which on being clicked load file in GDrive (Properties/Start in: "G:\My Drive\REEL\Strategy_Resources\_RESOURCES Bus Dev, Marketing '13\Digital Marketer" ).

Wondering if given this, and considering that the number of indexed files to be added to Everything DB would be relatively small, is there any way to get Everything to search my live GDrive ( G:\My Drive\ ) contents?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have on my TODO list to add support for indexing shell folders.

This will allow you index and search your GFS.

Currently, Everything will only index folders that resolve to a file system path.
Are you able to add your G: to your Everything index from Tools -> Options -> Folders -> Add...?
reelismism

Post by reelismism »

Hi, awesome to hear.

Wait: I could add 'G:\My Drive' as a folder! It then scanned G, and now it seems to work! :thumbsup:
Attachments
screenshot.1.png
screenshot.1.png (185.53 KiB) Viewed 31646 times
Margherita

Post by Margherita »

I have undergone that process of switching off Google Backup and Sync and moved over to Google Drive File Stream and I unfortunately have to report that your fears are true. The search indexing does NOT work (for Windows 10). The Google Drive does not appear in the indexing options. This is a huge problem for me because to find anything has become a major problem. I first need to now go to Drive online and find it there to know where anything is. If I were you I would wait before moving over. So far it is impossible to index Google Drive File Stream.
reelismism

Post by reelismism »

I think you misread the post above, it worked for me by simply adding the drive (G) to everything.exe.
farrukhndm

Post by farrukhndm »

Tips : 100% Drive File Stream( Gsuite ) INdexing working and everyting don't halted .

1)Ading the drive (G) to everything.exe using Tools - Option - Folders- Add ( DRive File Stream ) My Drive
2)Everything Option - Results - Enable(Open path with Double click in path )
3) Disable Everything shell menau will resolve issue of handing specially after

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html
After running shell menue, search Everything Menu name edit.exe and Right click on it and disable it , restart everything .
now context menu working even on Drive file stream ( Gsuite) !!
stevensegers

Post by stevensegers »

I would like to add my experience on this topic. I had Everything set up with the G-drive as additional folder to search for over a year. This seemed to work fine. However, I always had the issue of the GoogleDriveFS.exe process consume 1 CPU core almost continuously. It only recently dawned on me that this behavior may be related tot he Everything indexing process. Indeed, when I remove the G-drive in Everything, the problem was gone.
I'm going to try a different setup now: I re-installed Insync (https://www.insynchq.com/), which is a 3rd party client for google drive that works like the old google drive client used to, i.e. it synchronizes all files to your local disk. I bought a license for this years ago, but at the time it didn't seem very reliable so I stopped using it. It's still doing it's initial sync, but I can already see the files it has downloaded show up in the everything search, so this may be a better solution.
dogie

Post by dogie »

reelismism wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:58 am Hi, awesome to hear.

Wait: I could add 'G:\My Drive' as a folder! It then scanned G, and now it seems to work! :thumbsup:
Is there any follow-up to this? This currently doesn't work for me. Any solution to allow me to search Google Drive (via File Sync or not) would be appreciated).
void
Developer

Post by void »

Google Drive File System appears to work OK for me on Windows 10 X64 1903.

Is your Google drive shown in Everything from Tools -> Options -> Folders -> Add?

If not, please try running Everything as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Everything service.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
If you can add your Google drive, does Everything take forever to scan it? -The status bar will show Scanning...
From my testing, Everything scans about 10,000 files in 1 second (or 1 million files in about 2 minutes).
I've had reports of scanning taking forever. However, I have not found the issue yet.

To show scanning progress:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /verbose
    -this will show a debug console, the current folder scan is shown in Green text.
dogie

Post by dogie »

Its now working fine, thanks. I think I just had to refresh a few times for it to kick in. It still would be nice to have a direct integration with Google Drive such that I can search non-filestream accounts.
pedro

Post by pedro »

stevensegers wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:30 pm I would like to add my experience on this topic. I had Everything set up with the G-drive as additional folder to search for over a year. This seemed to work fine. However, I always had the issue of the GoogleDriveFS.exe process consume 1 CPU core almost continuously. It only recently dawned on me that this behavior may be related tot he Everything indexing process. Indeed, when I remove the G-drive in Everything, the problem was gone.
I'm going to try a different setup now: I re-installed Insync (https://www.insynchq.com/), which is a 3rd party client for google drive that works like the old google drive client used to, i.e. it synchronizes all files to your local disk. I bought a license for this years ago, but at the time it didn't seem very reliable so I stopped using it. It's still doing it's initial sync, but I can already see the files it has downloaded show up in the everything search, so this may be a better solution.
Beware, Insync now adds a guessed extension (based on MIME-type) to extensionless filenames.