Inhibiting file deletion

General discussion related to "Everything".
markb

Inhibiting file deletion

Post by markb »

Is there a way to prevent/inhibit deletion of files in the Everything search results window? I haven't been able to find a setting that would do this. 99.9% of the time, my usage of Everything is just for finding files; I rarely, if ever, want to delete files from the results window.

Although thankfully it has not happened yet, it would be *way* too easy (for me, anyway) to fat-finger or otherwise accidentally hit the DEL key with one or more files selected, which could likely be disastrous, especially on network drives/folders where files would be difficult to recover (no "recycle bin").

If it currently isn't possible to disable file deletion, what is the possibility of getting this implemented? This setting could be a single check box, unchecked initially as the default to maintain current app behavior. If this doesn't exist right now, I'll put a post in the Suggestion section for this.
therube

Re: Inhibiting file deletion

Post by therube »

Tools | Options -> General => Keyboard

Show commands containing: DEL
Then in the Shortcut window, use the Remove [box] to remove Delete as a shortcut.
markb

Post by markb »

Thanks very much! That solution will work out nicely. :D
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

markb wrote:Is there a way to prevent/inhibit deletion of files in the Everything search results window? I haven't been able to find a setting that would do this. 99.9% of the time, my usage of Everything is just for finding files; I rarely, if ever, want to delete files from the results window.

Although thankfully it has not happened yet, it would be *way* too easy (for me, anyway) to fat-finger or otherwise accidentally hit the DEL key with one or more files selected, which could likely be disastrous, especially on network drives/folders where files would be difficult to recover (no "recycle bin").

If it currently isn't possible to disable file deletion, what is the possibility of getting this implemented? This setting could be a single check box, unchecked initially as the default to maintain current app behavior. If this doesn't exist right now, I'll put a post in the Suggestion section for this.

If you want to, you can ' protect' your filesystem even further from accidental damage with INI settings like:
allow_open

Allow or disallow files to be opened in anyway.
Includes open, open as, open with, edit, play, print, preview, print to, run as, properties and the default verb.
Set to 1 to allow or set to 0 to disallow.

allow_context_menu

Allow or disallow the right click context menu.
Also effects the File menu in Everything.
Allows shortcut keys to function if also allowed.

allow_delete

Allow or disallow file or folder deletion.
Allows or disallows both delete permanently and delete to recycle bin.

allow_rename

Allow or disallow file or folder renaming and multi-file renaming.

allow_cut

Allow or disallow files or folders to be cut to the clipboard or moved to another folder.

allow_copy

Allow or disallow files or folders to be copied to the clipboard or copied to another folder.

allow_paste

Allow or disallow files or folders to be pasted from the clipboard to a folder in Everything.

allow_drag_drop

Allow or disallow drag dropping to or from Everything.
Source: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5833
markb

Post by markb »

This is great info as well! I'll be implementing some of these too. Thank you all again. :)