Does the database affect system performance?

General discussion related to "Everything".
burgundy

Does the database affect system performance?

Post by burgundy »

Hello. I am not clear what the Everything database is.

(Q1) If the database checkbox is enabled for a particular volume in Options then does this mean Everything will create its own database containing info for all files on that volume?

(Q2) Does the "Monitor Changes" setting mean that Everything can track all name changes to files and update its database in real time?

(Q3) Could either of these options cause the PC to become less responsive or lose a bit of performance?

Thank you for any info.
therube

Re: Does the database affect system performance?

Post by therube »

David
Developer

Post by David »

(Q1) If the database checkbox is enabled for a particular volume in Options then does this mean Everything will create its own database containing info for all files on that volume?
Yes, "Everything" creates a single database containing information for all volumes, files and folders that you have included.
(Q2) Does the "Monitor Changes" setting mean that Everything can track all name changes to files and update its database in real time?
Yes, even when "Everything" is not running.
The NTFS driver will continue to log file and folder changes when "Everything" is not running.
"Everything" will use this log to update it's database the next time you run it.
(Q3) Could either of these options cause the PC to become less responsive or lose a bit of performance?
"Everything"'s impact on your PC responsiveness and performance should be minimal and unnoticeable.
There might be a performance hit when "Everything" updates in response to a folder rename that has several thousand subfolders and files.
rando

Post by rando »

Does the NTFS driver take part of Windows Content Indexing?

If I disable Content indexing Service to index a disk (in windows - my computer) will Everything still work?
therube

Post by therube »

Yes, Everything will still work.
rando

Post by rando »

therube wrote:Yes, Everything will still work.
if we don't use windows search, we can disable Content indexing Service isn't it?
David
Developer

Post by David »

if we don't use windows search, we can disable Content indexing Service isn't it?
Yes, the NTFS USN Change Journal and Windows Content Indexing are two completely different things.
You can disable the Windows Indexing Service and "Everytihng" will still function.
rando

Post by rando »

David wrote:
Yes, the NTFS USN Change Journal and Windows Content Indexing are two completely different things.
You can disable the Windows Indexing Service and "Everytihng" will still function.
What does not work any more (except windows search)?

I have heard many times that windows indexing service consumes CPU. :)
David
Developer

Post by David »

What does not work any more (except windows search)
Only Windows search as far as I know..
rando

Post by rando »

David wrote:
What does not work any more (except windows search)
Only Windows search as far as I know..
Thank you David.