Indexing offline drives and optical media

General discussion related to "Everything".
galneon

Indexing offline drives and optical media

Post by galneon »

First, let me thank David for coming back to continue development of Everything. It's one of my favorite applications and it made my week when I realized only recently its development had begun again.

I use Everything for searching local disks, and another wonderful freeware program called Cathyfor slightly slower but more thorough searches of my archives. This is because right now I have Everything set up only to search drives that are currently active. I have an autoplay script so that upon detection of optical media, Cathy will quickly create an always-accessible catalog of the disc's contents that will automatically be included in search results in Cathy. I'm wondering if something similar is possible in Everything. Is it possible and would it be practical for me to go through the trouble of indexing a couple thousand discs with Everything to facilitate offline searches, or is it a better idea to just keep Cathy around for this purpose?

Thus far I've gotten along fine just using both applications as they each have their strengths, but if streamlining is possible I feel I should at least look into it the prospect.
void
Developer

Re: Indexing offline drives and optical media

Post by void »

File lists might be what you are after.

For automated file lists creation you will have to use command line option -create-filelist
galneon

Re: Indexing offline drives and optical media

Post by galneon »

That should be perfect. Thanks!