Photo meta data

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
flacky

Photo meta data

Post by flacky »

Hi!

Thank you very much for v1.5. I've badly missed indexing content, but now I'm overwhelmed from all the new options 🙄

What's the best procedure to include meta data from images?

For XMP side car files it seems simple: Add "*.xmp" to the "Include only files" option in "Content" section of the options.

The "Properties" section of the options allows to add certain XMP tags, but how can I add a few proprietary tags?

The app reads "tags" and "rating" from JPG files real fine, but adding *.xmp to "Include only files" in the "Properties" section of the options didn't do the trick for my XMP side car files. Also, should I include JPG or even huge TIFF files?

I must admit, I'm confused or better totally lost 😕

Thank's for reading, flipflop
void
Developer

Re: Photo meta data

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback flipflop,

To include your XMP tags:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Content tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Index file content. (Content is for text inside doc/pdf files)
  • Click the Properties tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Click XMP on the left.
  • Select any XMP property you wish to index and click OK.
  • Change Include only files to: *.xmp;*.jpg;*.tiff
  • Repeat for additional XMP properties.
  • Click OK.
    Everything will perform a quick re-index and start indexing your properties in the background.
Everything doesn't know what a .xmp file is. In this case Everything will use the Windows Property System to try to find XMP meta data.
It is likely there is no handler installed for this .xmp file type. You may wish to find a third party handler to do this.

I will consider adding native support for .xmp.

Everything has native support for jpg and tiff files.

For more information, please see properties.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

void wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:20 am To include your XMP tags:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Content tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Index file content. (Content is for text inside doc/pdf files)
  • Click the Properties tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Click XMP on the left.
  • Select any XMP property you wish to index and click OK.
  • Change Include only files to: *.xmp;*.jpg;*.tiff
  • Repeat for additional XMP properties.
  • Click OK.
    Everything will perform a quick re-index and start indexing your properties in the background.
Suggestion:
Because it's not enough to index, but in order to use it the user needs to display the column,
Consider to make Quick Access to those properties there were indexed in Options.
And regardless to that, you can also make a Quick Access to recently used columns.
flacky

Post by flacky »

Hi!

I followed void's advice and added a few file types to a small set of properties and disabled content indexing. The result was . . . weird:

E.g. I added the properties "Tags" and "Title" with "Include only files" set to "*.pdf;*.xmp;*.jpg;*.tif;*.tiff;*.png;*.dng;*.jp2".
In windows explorer the properties were displayed for JPG and TIF files only. Nothing for JP2, PNG, DNG, PDF and XMP.
Everything 1.5 showed the same result, except for the column "Title" which was completely empty.

I couldn't find a shell handler for XMP yet, so I tried this one (https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/pdfp ... n#download) for PDF.
After installation, a full set of properties for PDF files became visible in the explorer and Everything, including the "Title".

Also, though "Index file content" was switched off, the search phrase "content:MyTitle" returned DNG, JP2, PDF, TIF and XMP files, but not JPG and PNG. Perhaps this was because "Index file content" was ON for some time in my tests.

I also had the column "Rating" enabled all the time and Everything displayed the content real fine. But then suddenly for unknown reason it became empty until I installed the shell handler for PDF.

To be continued . . . perhaps 😄

Thanks for reading, flacky

BTW. To ensure that all sample files contain valid metadata only, I use Exiftool for editing. Also for fast testing I include a single NTFS drive that just contains the samples, nothing else. Everything-1.5a.db is 3KB small!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the feedback flacky,
Everything 1.5 showed the same result, except for the column "Title" which was completely empty.
Windows Explorer populates the title from other properties (this can be the subject or comment or other meta data).
Everything will only populate the title from the title meta data.
Also, though "Index file content" was switched off, the search phrase "content:MyTitle" returned DNG, JP2, PDF, TIF and XMP files, but not JPG and PNG. Perhaps this was because "Index file content" was ON for some time in my tests.
If you are trying to search your title property, use the title: search function.
For example, to search your indexed titles for My Title, search for:
title:"My Title"

Right click your result list column header and click Search x property... to search your indexed properties (such as title, rating etc...).