Disable re-indexing everything when a new file filter is added

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Skodd

Disable re-indexing everything when a new file filter is added

Post by Skodd »

Adding a new "include only files" filter in here

make everything index all properties again. Shouldn't it only index the properties for the files that hadn't their properties (length) indexed before adding the new file filter ?

Adding for example .m4v, will reindex the length properties of all file in the file filter (*.mkv;*.mp4;*.avi;*.flv;*.webm;*.3gp;*.ts;*.mpg;*.mpeg;*.wmv;*.mov;*.divx;*.m2ts in my screenshot) instead of just .m4v
void
Developer

Re: Disable re-indexing everything when a new file filter is added

Post by void »

Thanks for the issue report Skodd,

I'll make Everything a little smarter here by not rescanning properties when they already exist in the index.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Does the same happen when adding properties? Does Everthing re-scan all or just the the properties that have been added?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Is there a way of doing the same for properties by not rescanning when they already exist, or at least to have an option not to do so until a time of choosing? I'm always a bit reluctant to add or remove properties because of the time the rescan takes.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything will reuse the existing property values if you add a new property to the index.
Only the new property is scanned.

Everything currently rescans all properties when changing any property filter, this includes changing the following:
Include Folders
Include Files
Include Only Folders
Exclude Folders
Include Only Files
Exclude Files
Maximum size

You can pause property indexing under the Index menu.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1314a will now re-use existing property values when reindexing.
ahmednmagraby

Post by ahmednmagraby »

void wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:19 am Everything 1.5.0.1314a will now re-use existing property values when reindexing.
greetings from Cairo , Egypt
Thank you for this quick update
you are saving my life guys , I was stuck by multiple crashes since I installed the last version (1313a)3 days ago, and kept restarting the property index from scratch , which was very annoying :roll:
I was asking then why don't you - just save results to database regularly in order to reuse what was already being scanned,
and here you are , perfect as I used to since starting to understand your software 2 years ago.

I'm working on a very big scale of data (about 230 M files !!! ;) ).
I'm trying to build 3 indexes including (3 properties) for a big NAS storage, using 3 different powerful machines 128 GB of Ram each, in order to understand then control those data, I'm currently in the process of calculating a total page count of all documents on my storage as this number is required in a project planning phase to determine how much pages are actually required to be processed by a 3rd party solution for document content indexing ,
I think I'm going to finish within 1 week as I distributed folders to each machine index based on Alphabetic order to speed up the
indexing process,
see you later to share results. wish me luck.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback ahmednmagraby,

Everything 1.5.0.1315a fixes an issue with Everything not reindexing after changing indexed property settings.

When you make a change to your indexed property settings, Everything will now perform a quick reindex.