[1285] Everything service prompt timing

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
lifu

[1285] Everything service prompt timing

Post by lifu »

I realize the subject is a bit vague, but it's hard to summarize. Every version up to 1284 has asked if I want to enable the service immediately after startup. However, beginning with 1285, it now waits until after it has finished scanning.

As I have some slow storage-only drives that I have it manually scan, this prompt takes a little bit to pop up now, and it's inconvenient because it made upgrading so much smoother.

Plus, without the service, these initial scans don't have the benefit of administrator privileges.

If this was intentional to keep two instances of Everything from performing initial scans at the same time, please make it so that the initial scans don't occur until after the prompt is answered, and then if the service is enabled, have the service process perform the initial scans instead.
horst.epp

Re: [1285] Everything service prompt timing

Post by horst.epp »

Not confimed here.
I upgraded the portable version from 1284 to 1285.
On the first start-up it asked to install the service
and only after doing this it started re-indexing.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I debated creating a post on this, too, last night. I'd prefer that it asks right away, but I know @void is still experimenting and I heckled the point already.

Void says that he only wants it to show up when it's needed, as only after it encounters a system drive it cannot read. So it waits until all the non-system drives have been scanned and only then displays the prompt. Void's reasoning is that it's very fast to index the remaining system drives.

What I don't think Void has considered is that while indexing the remaining system drive(s) is fast, having to re-sort the Index is not always fast. So this extra wait time feels slightly excruciating since the Index was already visible on screen, but goes away and now we have to wait some more.

I wouldn't mind if Indexing and Sorting happened in the background on a duplicate copy database, while we can continue to use a cached copy.

I would still prefer that the prompt be displayed right away, even if it means performing a pre-scan for the presence of System Drives before actually reading from the drives. Because I might be apt to walk away from the computer while scanning is happening, so I'd like to get that Service elevation out of the way before I leave. I also imagine an IT situation where a manager doesn't want to stand around waiting to provide his password for user Bob's workstation.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

lifu, possibly an idea to start the service manually before starting Everything?

An inconvenience, but would this solve your problem?
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

User experience
lifu

Post by lifu »

harryray2 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:53 pm lifu, possibly an idea to start the service manually before starting Everything?

An inconvenience, but would this solve your problem?
For some reason when I tried doing that, I couldn't get the GUI to open by launching Everything64.exe again. It appeared in my processes but no system tray icon ever appeared.

I should note that it's also a pain in the ass to start the service manually like this, so I really don''t want this to be the solution I have to go with even if the above GUI launch issue is fixed.

I really think the user should be prompted about the service before indexing starts because having the service do it can affect what is indexed.
lifu

Post by lifu »

raccoon wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:17 pm I would still prefer that the prompt be displayed right away, even if it means performing a pre-scan for the presence of System Drives before actually reading from the drives. Because I might be apt to walk away from the computer while scanning is happening, so I'd like to get that Service elevation out of the way before I leave. I also imagine an IT situation where a manager doesn't want to stand around waiting to provide his password for user Bob's workstation.
I agree wholeheartedly. Because slow storage drives are part of what's being indexed, the prompt can take quite some time to show up for me.

Honestly, when I was first typing my initial post, it was going to be a bug report that the prompt wasn't launching at all. Just before I hit send, I noticed it pop up right as indexing finished, so I had to rewrite it.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

The install service prompt will be delayed when a volume can be indexed without admin privileges.

The next alpha update will show the install service prompt ASAP.
lifu

Post by lifu »

void wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:01 am Thanks for the feedback everyone,

The install service prompt will be delayed when a volume can be indexed without admin privileges.

The next alpha update will show the install service prompt ASAP.
I need to report a regression. In one of the recent builds (not sure which, but the earliest I could think of this starting from is 1316a), this issue is back. The prompt would not appear until it finished a rescan of one of my portable backup drives that is set to only be scanned once a week.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report lifu,

I have put this on my Things to fix list.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have made some changes here for the next alpha update so the scheduled folder rescans occur after any quick reindexing.
This should show the 'install Everything service' prompt immediately before any slow folder rescans occur.

I am trying to get a better understanding of your usage.
The 'install Everything service' prompt should only be shown once.
Is the 'Everything service' not installed or running when you start Everything?
What option are you choosing in the 'install Everything service' prompt?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1324a will no longer start a scheduled folder rescan if a rebuild is required.

The Install Everything Service prompt should be shown quickly.
Does this update help?
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

A new change I just noticed is "Run indexing process as administrator (recommended)" is the recommended option, not "Install the Everything service."

Everything64_65ZvnzYJHC.png
Everything64_65ZvnzYJHC.png (24.2 KiB) Viewed 6038 times

I don't remember this change in prescribed choice being documented or explained.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Check Run indexing process as administrator:
Everything 1.5.0.1320a will experiment with having "index as admin" the default option for the portable version.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Ok, thanks. And for clarity, I uninstalled the service on purpose to beta test the new startup.