Virtual Folders - It scans for a while then just says 0 KB with no files or folders showing up

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
RMcD

Virtual Folders - It scans for a while then just says 0 KB with no files or folders showing up

Post by RMcD »

Not sure what I'm doing wrong re: Virtual Folders but I downloaded the alpha.

Didn't index anything else, connected my Android Xiaomi Redmi Note 8T to the PC, added it as a folder under indexes and then scanned it.

It scans for a while then just says 0 KB with no files or folders showing up.
Last edited by void on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to new topic
void
Developer

Re: Virtual Folders - It scans for a while then just says 0 KB with no files or folders showing up

Post by void »

Thank you for the bug report RMcD,

There appears to be an issue with the latest builds and scanning virtual folders.

I am working on a fix.
void
Developer

Re: Virtual Folders - It scans for a while then just says 0 KB with no files or folders showing up

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1282a fixes an issue with indexing virtual folders.

A recent change initiailized the COM with multithreading.
Unfortunately, indexing virtual folders requires apartment threading.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Do you have help documentation on Virtual Folders? I have never encountered a program that can access folders from a Samsung mobile device. I'm not quite sure how to interact with them in Everything. (Windows 7)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Only the basic help here: Virtual folder indexing.

The main purpose of Virtual folder indexing is to add the Control Panel to your index.
(funny thing is the Control Panel works with COM multithreading and that's what I've been using for testing)

Everything will simply see your Samsung device as a folder (just like any other folder).

Everything will use the internal path of Computer\Samsung Device or Control Panel\All Control Panel Items
Windows Explorer also understands these paths.

There are limitations with these paths.
No low level WINAPI calls will work them.
You must use shell calls.
Everything will wrap most WINAPI calls with the shell equivalent when working with these paths.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Everything will wrap most WINAPI calls with the shell equivalent when working with these paths.
Would you be at all inclined to write a wrapper to mount these virtual folders as drive letters?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Mounting virtual folders as a drive letter would be outside the scope of "Everything".
A driver would need to be installed.

This would need to be another program.