[Feature Request] Use Properties to rename files

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
HASJ

[Feature Request] Use Properties to rename files

Post by HASJ »

Renaming multiple files with Everything is already one of the best features but using RegEx AND Properties would make it brilliant!
Some unique variable, like *height, *length (changing ":" to either dots or semi-colons).
void
Developer

Re: [Feature Request] Use Properties to rename files

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion HASJ,

The plan is to add preprocessor support to the multi-file renamer.

Syntax will look something like:

#height:
-or-
#get-property:<height>
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have added #height: and #width: for testing in Everything 1.5.0.1254a.

(#height: and #width: are currently undocumented in the UI)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1255a adds full preprocessor support to the multi-file-renamer.

You can also now add almost all properties from the > button to the right of the New Format.
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

I noticed a slight glitch when sorting by a custom property and renaming a file. For example sorting by video length.

I can't replicate this 100% of the time, but after you rename the file, the file quickly moves to the bottom of the sort list temporarily, then zips back to its current spot in the list. This doesn't happen every time to me, but sometimes.

Not really a bug, more a minor annoyance.

Edit: I'm guessing because temporarily as the file is renamed there is no index of the property for the new name, thus putting it to the bottom. Then once it rescans for the property it puts it back in its place.
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

JTCGiants56 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:17 am I noticed a slight glitch when sorting by a custom property and renaming a file. For example sorting by video length.

I can't replicate this 100% of the time, but after you rename the file, the file quickly moves to the bottom of the sort list temporarily, then zips back to its current spot in the list. This doesn't happen every time to me, but sometimes.

Not really a bug, more a minor annoyance.

Edit: I'm guessing because temporarily as the file is renamed there is no index of the property for the new name, thus putting it to the bottom. Then once it rescans for the property it puts it back in its place.
Can you confirm this is what is happening @void?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes, when the file is renamed, Everything will loose the indexed properties and regather them.

I've put on my TODO list to keep the old indexed properties.
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

void wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:30 am Yes, when the file is renamed, Everything will loose the indexed properties and regather them.

I've put on my TODO list to keep the old indexed properties.
Sounds good, thanks for your hard work!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1252a improves property cache handling after renaming items.

Everything will retain the old properties and do a background request for fresh properties values if the item is visible.

Renamed items should no longer pop in and out of view when sorting by a cached property.
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

void wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:40 am Everything 1.5.0.1252a improves property cache handling after renaming items.

Everything will retain the old properties and do a background request for fresh properties values if the item is visible.

Renamed items should no longer pop in and out of view when sorting by a cached property.
I'm not sure if this case applies to this. But I just renamed the display name of one of my hard drives. And everything had to rescan all the properties. Despite the drive letter and all the files being exactly the same.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Changing the volume label caused Everything to reindex?

What is shown for Tools -> Debug -> Statistics -> Build -> Last Rebuild Reason?
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

void wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:14 am Changing the volume label caused Everything to reindex?

What is shown for Tools -> Debug -> Statistics -> Build -> Last Rebuild Reason?

Last rebuild reason: Add NTFS volume.

I did have the drive letter removed at one point for this drive. But I'm pretty sure everything 1.5 was closed at the time. (Unless the service noticed that change?)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the info.
Everything has detected a new drive (Everything keeps track of drives by volume GUID, volume path and volume root -The volume root is most likely empty in your case and only applies to subst volumes)

The volume GUID might have changed due to the drive letter removal. (unlikely, but possible)

The Everything Service doesn't do anything when the Everything Search client is not running.
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

void wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:31 am
Thanks for the info.
Everything has detected a new drive (Everything keeps track of drives by volume GUID, volume path and volume root -The volume root is most likely empty in your case and only applies to subst volumes)

The volume GUID might have changed due to the drive letter removal. (unlikely, but possible)

The Everything Service doesn't do anything when the Everything Search client is not running.
I do occasionally get disk identifier conflicts in my event log. Not sure if this is related. I did get one yesterday. Disk 27 is one of the drives in question. And it is in an external HDD bay with Disk 26.
Disk 27 has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system. Go to Microsoft's support website (http://support.microsoft.com) and search for KB2983588 to resolve the issue.
Disk 26 has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system. Go to Microsoft's support website (http://support.microsoft.com) and search for KB2983588 to resolve the issue.